Sign in with
Your question

Advice for Best Quitest & Energy Efficient PSU

Last response: in Components
September 27, 2009 3:42:47 PM

:hello:  all, just want a professional advice based on real world experience for the best quitest and most energy efficient PSU for an intel corei5-750 system that i will start to build. i have CORSAIR & OCZ brands in mind but since i have nexus NX-5000 500w psu right now on my current AMD x2 dual core 4800+ 2.4ghz system (and it's very quiet i think even on high loads) i want to buy a high brand one that is the most quietest being the number one priority, since im trying to bring together all the components and build the most quiet system with the latest intel corei5 cpu etc.

i believe a 450-480w PSU is more than enough to provide enough power to my components.the reason i don't want to keep the Nexus NX-5000 PSU is because perhaps it is not one of those 80+ plus energy efficent PSU since i brought it back a few years ago.and another reason is,the technology has improved over time (at least since from the time i brought this PSU) i think i could settle down with one that is even more quiet and efficient and one that will save alot on my electricity bill in the UK.

i heard good things about CORSAIR brand but at the same time,i also heard at high loads,the PSU's noise level spikes up say after 300w which in my case,i will be playing pc games and possibility of overclocking my system.Any advice on which brand that i could go for between 450-500w psu?

2 last things.a PSU which is over 80+ plus energy effiecient like a 89% one is better? also the higher the psu in watts consumes more power energy? for example a 500w psu consumes more power than a 400w one? i ask this because besides the quietness of psu which is very important for me,at the same time my other concern is i want to save on my electricity bill.any advice would be highly appreciated thank you :whistle: 
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2009 3:46:43 PM

corsair,antec,ocz,pc power&cooling are all good,newer psu's are actually no louder then an average case fan
a c 248 ) Power supply
September 27, 2009 4:28:08 PM

^5 +1 what obsidian86 said

A power supply will only draw the power from the wall outlet (mains) that is needed.

For example, you could have a power supply rated at 500 watts but during a gaming session your system may only need 300 watts. The power supply would only draw the 300 watts.
Related resources
September 27, 2009 4:54:55 PM

ok.so any particualr model name for the selected brands you could advice on,in regards to most quietest one between corsair,ocz or antec?
September 27, 2009 5:36:36 PM

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article751-page5.html it shows a graph where it compares noise levels dba under a given load. so the corsair HX520/620 when the power output reaches 400w,noise level reaches to 29dba.and under 500w,goes all the way upto 40dba.this is actually way way too loud! but this model in particular shows as the quietest from the graph.although i am not exactly sure what the power output means when it comes to overclocking your pc and using it for a prolonged period of time for the psu to even reach this say 400w level for it to produce this 29dba noise,i do know however,that my computer will be on for say 12 hours a day and i will play games.and if say this corsair brand psu's reach the 400-500w power output during games and produces this amount of noise,i can never tolerate this considering in trying to build the most quiet system with the latest hardware.

i am more in the favour of 19-21dba.so is it still advisable to go for a CORSAIR or OCZ PSU brands because they produce the least sound and most energy efficient? Nexus 500w comes to mind.but recently looking at the tests for this 500w nxus psu,when the power output reaches over 300w and above,the psu becomes loud...i want the best one that my $$$ could buy and one that i will use for a long time and run quietly.so any corsair or ocz model name/number to suggest?

please note: i am still trying to decide to buy a case to go with my system.between coolermaster cosmos s or the silverstone fortress FT01B. any of these will of course cool nmy components well which will in return affect the noise of the psu as well.but like i said i want the most quitest as an overll.
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2009 5:44:11 PM

the new ocz z series is actually very quiet a have the 850 watt model at full load my thermalright cpu fan is loader at 29db then my psu fan
September 27, 2009 6:13:44 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
^5 +1 what obsidian86 said

A power supply will only draw the power from the wall outlet (mains) that is needed.

For example, you could have a power supply rated at 500 watts but during a gaming session your system may only need 300 watts. The power supply would only draw the 300 watts.

Thank you for that answer, I'd always wondered about it and how much my electric bill would increase if I had a 1000 watt PSU.
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2009 6:22:47 PM

The efficiency of a computer power supply is the amount of energy it supplies, divided by how much energy is input. The remaining energy is converted into heat. For instance, a power supply operating at 60% efficiency, supplying 300 watts to a computer would draw 500 watts, and give off 200 watts of heat. An 80% efficient supply would draw 375 watts to produce the same 300 watts, giving off 75 watts of heat.
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2009 7:12:11 PM

IMHO those who are concerned about PSU efficiency should pay particular attention to it's efficiency curve (how efficiency varies with the load). I chose a 525W Enermax 82+ power supply because I expected to use around 250W of power and because this power supply was most efficient at about half load. That means that this size of Enermax PSU actually draws less power from the wall than a smaller or larger one would.
September 27, 2009 10:49:44 PM

jlaavenger said:
Thank you for that answer, I'd always wondered about it and how much my electric bill would increase if I had a 1000 watt PSU.

jlaavenger yes dont we all had that question in mind and wondered all along lol.
now that's out of the way.which is all good.thanks to obsidians knowledge based on the real stuff than an opinion =}

i will check out the the OCZ z series as obsidian86 suggested.

thermalright 29dba.hmm.totally unacceptable to me.as im actually looking also for the most quietest (and i mean virtually silent)and powerful intel corei5750 socket 1156 cpu cooler.had thermalright ultra in mind and attach some notua 120mm fans and adjust the fan speed as necessary.although i heard the cooler's base doesn't have that flat mirror coat? finish so there could be good contact on the cpu.however this is another topic which i will post the question for on another thread.

back to the PSU. if only there was a psu high quality brands like corsair,ocz, antec etc,out there, that could beat and challenge the dba noise of that nexus (the one i have right now which produce upto 16-19dba max) then i would be happy enough if the noise levels stays the same as this even at higher loads.if beyond 19-20 dba.then this is something i still need to research on if high branded psu's like ones suggested above corsair,ocz, antec does ever exist with such very quiet dba levels at all levels..because basically,i haven't tried any other brands but kept to nexus for years.now is time to move on to others and im sure there are quieter ones out there.just matter of test and trial.but i can't of course do that to every psu's i purchase.this is why im here to ask for advice based on real world use than merely opinions.thanks for the suggestions and do apologize for such long message.but the answer here will allow me to invest in the right product,one that meets my needs and use it for many years to come :whistle: 

September 27, 2009 11:41:33 PM

core4less said:
jlaavenger yes dont we all had that question in mind and wondered all along lol.
now that's out of the way.which is all good.thanks to obsidians knowledge based on the real stuff than an opinion =}

i will check out the the OCZ z series as obsidian86 suggested.

thermalright 29dba.hmm.totally unacceptable to me.as im actually looking also for the most quietest (and i mean virtually silent)and powerful intel corei5750 socket 1156 cpu cooler.had thermalright ultra in mind and attach some notua 120mm fans and adjust the fan speed as necessary.although i heard the cooler's base doesn't have that flat mirror coat? finish so there could be good contact on the cpu.however this is another topic which i will post the question for on another thread.

back to the PSU. if only there was a psu high quality brands like corsair,ocz, antec etc,out there, that could beat and challenge the dba noise of that nexus (the one i have right now which produce upto 16-19dba max) then i would be happy enough if the noise levels stays the same as this even at higher loads.if beyond 19-20 dba.then this is something i still need to research on if high branded psu's like ones suggested above corsair,ocz, antec does ever exist with such very quiet dba levels at all levels..because basically,i haven't tried any other brands but kept to nexus for years.now is time to move on to others and im sure there are quieter ones out there.just matter of test and trial.but i can't of course do that to every psu's i purchase.this is why im here to ask for advice based on real world use than merely opinions.thanks for the suggestions and do apologize for such long message.but the answer here will allow me to invest in the right product,one that meets my needs and use it for many years to come :whistle: 

Look at the Seasonic M12-SS psu's. (Seasonic makes most of the brands listed above...)
September 28, 2009 9:34:19 PM

i looked at seasonic and i still cannot come to a conclusion for the best quietest psu between corsair,ocz,and seasonic mentioned above.nexus 430 value comes to mind.but im not quiet so sure if it's 80+ plus energy efficient psu and could handle all my components well when i get the nvidia gtx 285+ gpu above in future as well.want a psu that the fan could produce perhaps no more than 20dba noise at full load all the way upto 400w and maintain this.. my current components will consist of:

CPU:intel corei5-750 GPU: Nvidia quadro fx 3450 (for now but nviidia gtx 285 or above in future upgrade) RAM:4gb corsair 1600mhz dual channel CASE: not sure yet! SOUND CARD:some audigy music or games card DVD ROM:blue ray dvd rewriter HD:western digital 7200rpm 250 gb 16mb cache.
September 29, 2009 6:34:01 PM

it appears im discussing my needs and advice back to myself lol.i think i might go for Be quiet! 65watts psu.anyone have any heating or stability issues with this particular psu under full load? i can see it's probably the most quietest pus ever out .at just 21dba consistently at all times.just what i was looking for but im concerned on the long term effect it may caust to my hot hardware such as my intel corei5-750 cpu,and vga nvidia gtx 285 (i will upgrade in future) asus mobo and ram etc. thinking the case will produce alot of heat inside since this psu spins at only around 500rpm.noise comes with a sacrifice of heat.and certainly this is something i would rather not have too.
September 29, 2009 6:34:27 PM

typing error.650 watts Be Quiet! PSU
September 30, 2009 3:27:46 AM

I would say the Corsair 650W.
TX-650

HX-650

The efficiency difference between them is minimal and TX-650 is much cheaper. However, HX series are modular PSUs which helps nothing but cable management.
September 30, 2009 11:54:59 AM

thanx andy.im looking into the corsair one u suggested above now
September 30, 2009 4:09:38 PM

i have come to a conclusion to choose between Corsair HX520,Be quiet! dark power pro 550W, and the Enermax Modu82+ 625W. Be Quiet seems to be the most quietest of these 3 psu's. spinning at only 500rpm.but i guess there is a tradeoff with that much low airflow= increased temperature, which is not good.corsair hX 520 on the other hand is well known and keeps nice and quiet under 300w load but then rises in dba after this load to 29dba and above which is way too loud for me.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article806-page5.html from the graph,u can see the Enermax Modu82+ 625W stays the quietest .

for some strange reason when i listened to the MP3 recording for Enermax Modu82+ 625W at 300W output, 22 dBA@1m: One meter, there was a slight electrical buzzing sound (link http://www.silentpcreview.com/article806-page6.html)
which is irritating to the ear and is audible even if it's a slight one.whereas for the corsair hx520,there wasn't this buzzing sound.i'm not quiet so sure if this was the result due to quality of the recording or it's the actual sound of the psu.

any further advice as to go for which out of these 3? this thread was for "the quietest psu" that i personally am looking for.but i dont want to buy one at the cost of instability and heat problems which would cause further complications to my overall system.perhaps the corsair is the most reliable and one that gives clean circuit power together with nice dba levels if kept under 300w under load. i suppose buying a quiet case with at least 3 fans will keep things cooler and wouldn't not actually reach this load with the hardware i have (intelcorei50750 nvidia quadro fx 3450/nvidia gtx 285/295 4gb corsair dual channel 1600mhz ram asus p55 delux mobo,audigy soundcard,LG blue ray rewriter)

any final advice and suggestions as to which psu i should go for in terms of most quietness,reliable stable clean power? many thanks for your time.kindly appreciated =}
October 3, 2009 11:24:45 AM

Cooler Master and Thermaltake are the most quiet PSU out there. However, DO look into the 80 plus series!

IMO, PSU is the most important component in a PC and the performance should be the first thing you consider when choosing a PSU.
October 3, 2009 2:40:54 PM

yes im going for the 80 plus.and i agree PSU is the most important part in a pc.like u suggest for corsair tx-series,they may be best performers but at the cost of noise.which is something i definitely do not consider to put inside my case,since knowing my pc with the hot hardware inside could easily reach perhaps 600w and produce a high bad dba noise.priority for me is noise and of course i cannot sacrifice performance at the same time.however having said that,im sure there are very quiet and excellent performance psu's out there that provide clean power,80 plus,stable,reliability,efficient and most important quiet all in one.i thought the Be quiet! dark power pro 650w psu fits this criteria but of course it's rather my opinion.

what you think of the be quiet! dark power pro 650w? i know it's a german make.but compared to the corsair TX650w as an overall? you'd probably go for the corsair TX,but i heart good things about the be quiet psu and they seem to be very quiet too.if only corsair's psu was a little lower in terms of dba noise when under load stress,without a doubt i would go for them.because i know u could trust corsair due to it's reliability,stability,and performance..
October 3, 2009 2:42:10 PM

oops typing error "i heard" not i heart!im such a noob lol :p 
October 3, 2009 2:59:05 PM

Any 80+ psu of quality brand should be fine! Get the quietest 80+ in your case.
October 3, 2009 3:19:18 PM

i got a pc power cooling silencer.... never hear it period.
October 3, 2009 4:23:41 PM

although so many happy reviews on the pc power cooling PSU and it's excellent reliablity and performance,despite they also say very quiet..upto 40dba..is a psu i will definitely wouldn't even consider to put inside my case.26dba at start is bad enough as it is.if my overall system made 26dba noise, then i could accept that.but this psu making this much noise alone is way too much for me personally.and long cable fitting issuesbut very much appreciate your advice dude ;) .

so i still am trying to decide between CORSAIR TX650W my friend andy5174 above has suggested,and Be quiet! dark power pro 650w which i think is very quiet and excellent.
October 3, 2009 6:05:52 PM

however with be quiet dark power pro 650w psu,at such low 500rpm fan speed and max 21dba at all loads (all the way upto 600w+)it can get pretty hot and may cause problems.so im thinking if i opt for this particular psu,i should mount a fan to give it extra cooling..
!