Sign in with
Your question

External drive showing as local disk

Last response: in Storage
March 14, 2011 10:02:37 PM

Hello,
I use Seagate 2 TB external hard drive on window xp and 7. I've been using it quite awhile and it worked fine until yesterday it started showing up as "local disk" not "my external drive," which I named it that way. so i can't even use it right now.
And when it's plugged in, it slows the computer down a lot. Please please please please help me out what's going on.
a b G Storage
March 14, 2011 10:25:26 PM

What happens when plugged into another computer?

Are you able to access anything on it? More than likely the drive is going bad, but there may be a couple of things to try to save it...
m
l
March 15, 2011 12:17:18 AM

It didn't work on my laptop so i went to school and connected to their pc. it doesn't beep anymore. but still shows as "local disk"
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2011 12:19:47 AM

vvhocare5 said:

Are you able to access anything on it? More than likely the drive is going bad, but there may be a couple of things to try to save it...

and no i can't access anything. it says i have to format it to use it again. but i only used up about 500GB out of 2TB..
m
l
March 22, 2011 4:44:54 PM

Mine is currently doing the same thing for the version of Vista that I use. It doesn't work on other computers either. My friend's is doing the same thing and his was brand spanking new.
m
l
June 2, 2011 12:46:49 PM

harrokr said:
Hello,
I use Seagate 2 TB external hard drive on window xp and 7. I've been using it quite awhile and it worked fine until yesterday it started showing up as "local disk" not "my external drive," which I named it that way. so i can't even use it right now.
And when it's plugged in, it slows the computer down a lot. Please please please please help me out what's going on.

Hi, I had the same issue on my 180 Western Digital External drive, the hard drive was working fine when i used it the other night to check on my files, when i got back from home from work the next day, it showed "Local Disk" on My Computer. i tried almost everything to troubleshoot it, change the drive letter name, uninstalled/ reinstalled the drivers for the drive, disabled it, etc., but it didn't work. so i accepted the fact that i need to format the external drive to make it work again, even if it means i will lose my 148 GB of important files on it. now i downloaded a data recovery software, to check if i can retrieve the files after i format it, i connected my other external drive, a 250 GB Western Digital, to free 148 GB of disk space for retrieving the files on the hard drive that has an issue, then, when i connected my 180 hard drive, the Autoplay popped-up, and it was detected properly on my computer. i checked on the files, and everything was working fine, like nothing happened. i then realized that my nephew connected the 250 GB external Hard Drive the same night before the issue happened. so what i think is, there was a driver conflict between the 2 hard drives. try to check if you connected other hard drives or removable disk drives on the computer before it happened. i'm not sure if it will help, but i was checking on this thread before when i had the issue, and i hope that it can help you guys. by the way, i'm using a computer running on Windows XP service pack 3.
m
l
March 13, 2012 3:48:36 AM

vvhocare5 said:

Like what for one?
m
l
June 22, 2014 1:50:04 AM

Same thing is happening with my wd my passport 1tb ultra. And it happen when i plugged in both my dongle and hard disk at same. I tried to open a movie that time and it stopped. Giving me 2 option "wait for the program to respond" and "close " i closed it but when i plugged in again it showed as local disk and i can't even touch it. I mean if i right click on it my computer slow down. And it say to format the drive.
m
l
!