Sign in with
Your question

OC Questions regarding Core i5 2500k and GA P67 D3 B3

Last response: in Overclocking
June 24, 2011 5:46:50 PM

Hey folks, long-time lurker here and finally decided to join the community! I recently put together this desktop and I think I did pretty good considering it's the first I've built in about 7 years. This is my first time dealing with overclocks though and had a couple questions. I've read various guides (including the two here at Toms) and have managed to get my chip to 4.0 ghz at 1.2vcore. I've disabled all of the power-saving features (c3/c6, c1, turbo, etc). Considering that I want to keep this chip for at least a few years, is it safe to leave the chip at a constant 1.2v or should I try to enable the power saving features to keep it at 1.6 when idle? I'll push the OC higher when I feel like the chip is becoming the bottleneck but for now I'm happy with it at 4.0.
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 5:57:01 PM

Hey and welcome to the community! :) 

1.2V is perfectly safe and the chip will last a very long time providing the temps are resonable (<70C Under max load).

Happy days.
June 24, 2011 6:14:11 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm glad I joined the community (seems much friendlier here than at Anandtech :p ). Yeah max load under prime 95 (small ftts test not the blend one) is about 60ish I believe.

Double Post, internet time out... bah
Related resources
June 24, 2011 6:14:25 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hey and welcome to the community! :) 

1.2V is perfectly safe and the chip will last a very long time providing the temps are resonable (<70C Under max load).

Happy days.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm glad I joined the community (seems much friendlier here than at Anandtech :p ). Yeah max load under prime 95 (small ftts test) is about 60ish I believe.
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 6:21:01 PM

adreger said:
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm glad I joined the community (seems much friendlier here than at Anandtech :p ). Yeah max load under prime 95 (small ftts test) is about 60ish I believe.

Yeah thats fine, I'd be pushing it further but thats just me. :) 
June 24, 2011 6:30:39 PM

Heh yeah, I'll push it further when I feel like I need the speed cause it's plenty fast at the moment. I like having some OC headroom.
June 25, 2011 6:40:50 PM

Heya, just had one more quick question about LLC; should I leave it enabled or put it on auto or disabled? I've heard various things about Load-Line-Calibration.
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 7:24:23 PM

Enable it.
June 26, 2011 4:54:27 PM

Hm, just found an issue I think with the overclock. The OC runs stable at 4.0 GHz just fine but it seems that if I put the computer to sleep and then wake it up later; CPU-Z and Easy Tune 6 will show the default clock. Is this a cosmetic issue or does the computer actually turn off the OC when it gets put to sleep?
!