Temp concerns about new build

Persheis

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hey guys, sup!

I was wondering the following:

I am building a PC from scratch, as my old one is way too old (Pentium D, still kicking).
I'm planning to reuse the case (generic SuperPower case, seems like it has nice ventilation), and reuse the fans too (old 4-pin simple fans, 2 80mms), one DVD writer (LG, old model, IDE) and my GPU (XFX 1GB 9400GT)

My system would be:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE (using stock HS)
M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
Lite-On DVD-RW unit (Sata) + LG DVD Writer
XFX 1GB 9400GT
XFX PRO650W Core Edition

I bought an additional AS5 Thermal Compund and one of those fancy PCI Coolers.

I'm not into OC myself, but I was attracted by the Auto OC AMD offers and the Core Unlock features. However, I'm a bit worried if my ventilation system and my PSU would handle this config while unlocking the cores and Turbo'ing the system.

Is it possible for my system to run smoothly and risk-free (at least I want to achiveve the 3.7 GHz the Turbo claims and core unlocking)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Solution
I would want a max temp of about 52C (under Prime95)

And yes it'll overclock your CPU to a stable level (in theory) check with Prime95 after enabling the turbocore feature just to be sure.
Core unlocking on an x6? Maybe I missed something I'm not to hot on AMD.

Anyways Run Prime 95 at stock if the temps reach mid 50's (C) then I'd abort the test and wouldn't touch overclocking...However if your temps are exceptable at stock then go for the overclock and re-run Prime95 to make sure your temps are ok.

Your PSU will be fine.

Persheis

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Oh, LOL, just realised my mistake. Happens that I had a X4 in mind first. ^^

Anyways, what would be a safe temperature for this build? I'm not very familiar with the TurboCore technology, but it should OC my PC automatically to a stable level, right?