Cannot get my ide dvd drive to work with a sata to ide converter using win xp Wh

stant1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Hi, I have a MSI gf615m-p33 mobo with 1gb mem using win xp sp3. It only have one ide port that I am using for my 2 ide hd drives. I tried to connect my ide dvd drive to one of the sata ports using a sata to ide converter. I connected the power to the converter and the drive but when I connect the sata cable to the sata port , the system stops or hang. Hoe do I get this dvd drive to work using the converter? Thanks for any infomation.

Stant1

stant1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

the dvdrw drive is set as master and I've tried 2 sata to ide converters with the same results.

stant1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

hi, it's a dvdrw drive which is set as master and I've tried 2 sata to ide converters. Could there be any other reason ? Thanks,

Just a thought not based on practical experience, have you checked in the BIOS and made sure that the SATA controller is set in IDE mode and not AHCI or RAID. (or if it is set to IDE try AHCI)
Changing the SATA controller mode might make your system not boot, but does it make the DVD drive visible in the BIOS? If so you have solved the problem. The Windows not booting problem can be solved with a registry edit before you change the SATA mode.

stant1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Yes, I have 2 hdd on the ide cable(master and slave). I'm trying to use the sata port with the converter to connect the ide dvd-rom. Thanks.