Installing PS in Case

bigspur

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I have a LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Mid-tower case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239), it has 4 fans: 1 intake, 2 on top and 1 exhaust in the back. The PS installs on the bottom where there is a vent. My question is, to get good airflow do I install the PS with the fan down or up. Thank you for your help. :)

Excellent choice for a pc case. I plan on getting that one for my next project.

Originally bottom mounted power supplies were installed with the fan on top. The fan pulls in warm air from the case and exhausts it out the rear of the case. However, there was another design change. Some cases with excellent ventilation, air flow, and cooling such as yours come with a an opening directly below the power supply which would allow the psu to be mounted fan side down. The concept is that with the psu fan side down, it could pull in fresh air and cool itself. There is a down side if you place the case on the floor. If you place it directly on a carpet air flow will be restricted. In addition, dust will be a problem. A few years ago I built a small inexpensive black and chrome stand to avoid those problems. I also added casters so I could move the pc easily.

bigspur

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Excellent choice for a pc case
Thanks, I did a lot of research before purchase, I wanted a case that would be good for OC, but just with airflow, not water cooling.

There is a down side if you place the case on the floor. If you place it directly on a carpet air flow will be restricted. In addition, dust will be a problem.
I will be placing mine on a hard surface and with the feet on the bottom of the case airflow should be fine and one of the nice things about this case is there is a filter on the bottom vent to restrict dust. So with these features, I believe that you are saying it would be better to put the fan down too draw cool air in from the outside and exhaust it out of the back and top.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Not much space at the bottom of a case for cool air if the PSU fan is facing down - you can try either way and see wht gives you the best results. My personal preference is to have it facing up - simply because the great airflow accessible to the PSU fan means its not working so hard to do the same job

That's what I thought. So I'm right.

@OP:
2935_20.jpg

So with these features, I believe that you are saying it would be better to put the fan down too draw cool air in from the outside and exhaust it out of the back and top.
No. Put it the way you see it in the pic. It usually cools the PSU best this way as you get cooler air in to it as there is not much space for air flow the other way. Cooler PSU = happy PSU=more reliability.