Newb needs help overclocking 2500k to 4ghz :D

kashi169

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Hi,

I want to overclock my i5 2500K to around 4ghz.

I have never overclocked before, but i know how to use the BIOS (ofc :p)
I have a H60 cooler (know it's overkill but hey, 15 bucks more expensive than 212+ :D(here in Norway)

idle-25-30c (Right now)
Prime95: 45-53c (highest i've got it to after about 10 min of prime 95 :D)

So to overclock do I only need to increase the turbo ratio or multiplier or whatever the name is to around 40? :p and not mess with voltage, and all the other complicated stuff :p (Default settings)

I do alot of video editing (1080p) and the computer stays on for a while :p (18 hours a day)

I am 13 years old BTW and it's my first build :p

Wow you really like your smileys :p :) :D

Its as easy as 40 x multi, you could leave the voltage on AUTO but AUTO tends to apply more voltage then needed, I'd put 1.2V through it and see if its stable for 15 minutes, if it is lower the volts and re-test, do this process until it fails, then increase the voltage by one notch and test for 8+ Hours... keep the temps under 70C

You have it right.

Run CPU-Z to verify that your multiplier is working properly.
You should see it drop to 16 when not much else is going on. and go up to your multiplier under prime95.

Increase the multiplier in small steps.
4.0 should be no problem with everything else on auto.

kashi169

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Thanks for fast answer :)
I will try the settings soon as my 6870 arrives from RMA. I will just change the multiplier to 40 and the voltage to 1.22 and see what happends :p but is it dangereos to get getting BSOD or pc will not boot bcause of failed overclock?

Some motherboards recover seamlessly to a failed overclock. Others may require resetting the cmos with varying degrees of awkwardness.
Unplugging the psu from the wall may also do it in some cases.

That is why I suggest you increment by a very small step, with everything else at auto, at least the first time.

a BSOD itself isn't dangerous, its just a safety feature in windows to tell you your system has done a smelly brown one and a possible cause for this. (BCCODE)
However an unstable system can cause corruption of data/programs/os so save any work or back up anything important.

kashi169

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

I thought that 4ghz was pretty small step :p Maybe i was wrong. :pt1cable:
What would you suggest?