Sign in with
Your question

OS Not Seeing RAM

Last response: in Memory
December 19, 2009 6:39:49 PM

Alright, you might think this is the usual "it's normal for it not to see the RAM and don't worry about it" case, but be in store to be fooled. This is not a normal case since I've consulted with Microsoft Techs and they've concluded with multiple tests (getting the latest hardware driver/bios updates for the motherboard) it's not Windows 7 (I have a license with Microsoft). We concluded it is most likely that the motherboard is not communicating with the OS properly, but I need to see if there's anything else I can do.

My motherboard was not originally built to support Windows 7 32bit 64bit software (it uses both 32bit & 64bit soft). I built the system part by part as needed awhile back and if I'd known I would've needed to replace everything, I would've bought very high-end equipment... too late. lol I contacted the manufacture Gigabyte before purchasing the OS to make sure it would function properly and they said with confidence that it would. I've also updated the Bios with new software to function with Windows 7 properly, but it hasn't. I'm not inexperienced with computers whatsoever and I'm stumped what to do other than wait to see if the motherboard manufacture will be kind as to release another update to fix the issue... that's most likely going to be a crapshoot.

It's seeing only 2GB with 4GB on-board. The RAM has been removed and swapped with no success. If there was a bad stick, the system motherboard would beep via the case speaker... so it's not a hardware failure... chances are it wouldn't boot either. I can't seem to fix the issue nor could the Microsoft Rep.

Don't laugh with the setup, but it's as I said above--I didn't realize I'd be replacing everything.

Old Modified DELL Mid Tower
I took a cutting wheel and cut the frame to install new dual 80mm intake fans (160mm together) in the front with dual high-speed 80mm L.E.D. fans in the back.
Intel Pentium CPU 570J 3.82GHz
This processor was intended to be a quick fix with an older DELL computer, but I ended up building a complete new computer rig.
GA-945GZM-S2 (rev.2.1) Gigabyte Motherboard
533MHz Used RAM Sticks
I'm considering upgrading the RAM to 800MHz to overclock the FSB. I'll sell the sticks online or to someone I know. I don't know the brand.
ASUS Cooling Tower
500GB Seagate HDD

This came out of the old computer.
CD/DVD DVD Burner Drive
This came out of the old computer.
BFG Modular 550W PSU
Onboard INTEL 82945G Express Chipset

Extra Stuff
Old DELL Monitor
Logitech Surround Sound Kit
Not a cheapo, but not Bose. lol
Logitech Standard Keyboard
Microsoft Optical Wireless Mouse
etc...

I'm prepping to build a custom AMD Gaming RIG with the latest and greatest; however, this base computer still needs to work right. I gave hard details for anyone who wishes to give an assumption to what might be going on with her. Thank you for reading.

More about : ram

a c 106 } Memory
a c 255 V Motherboard
December 19, 2009 6:48:26 PM

I would suggest that you download and run memtest86+.

It is a diagnostic that does not use an OS. Run it for at least one full pass. You should see NO errors, otherwise the ram is faulty.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2009 6:56:56 PM

I believe your motherboard supports 2gb of ram maximum
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2009 7:00:31 PM

MaDMagik said:
I believe your motherboard supports 2gb of ram maximum

Incorrect. It supports slightly above 4GB of RAM and I have confirmed that with Windows XP 32bit software. The Gigabyte techs also confirmed that it is higher than 2GB. Also, with a 64bit processor it can go higher. Sorry, but I know for a FACT it does go much higher than 2GB.
m
l
December 19, 2009 7:03:41 PM

geofelt said:
I would suggest that you download and run memtest86+.

It is a diagnostic that does not use an OS. Run it for at least one full pass. You should see NO errors, otherwise the ram is faulty.

The Bios sees the RAM, but the OS doesn't. I'll check to see about this test software you're talking about. I ran CPU-Z to see if it could see it or not and it too could not see the full 4GB.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2009 7:06:43 PM

Believe what do you want, the manual states 2gb max, crucial upgrade tool states the same.
m
l
December 19, 2009 7:10:50 PM

MaDMagik said:
Believe what do you want, the manual states 2gb max, crucial upgrade tool states the same.

I don't know if you have wax in your ears when you were listening to what I just said or what not?
I've already stated I've confirmed with XP and with a Gigabyte technician that manufactured this model that it supports above 2GB of RAM. It shows it to be higher in the Bios than the OS. I might have a slightly different model than what you're looking at. I have ran software that REQUIRES 100% 4GB of RAM minimal on an XP OS and more than one Linux OS. I'm not an amateur and I know what I'm talking about. :heink: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2009 7:18:21 PM

Oh well, maybe you need to buy 64bit cpu :lol: 
m
l
December 19, 2009 7:23:34 PM

:p  I'm in the process of doing that with another build that costs probably more than your car. :D 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2009 7:52:15 PM

Good for you, just make sure everything is compatible, you know, run some "XP software to confirm" or call a techie :lol: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2009 7:53:38 PM

Hey Dali, let me drive MY CAR over your new build, the trash spewing out of your mouth would look the same... THE MOTHERBOARD IN QUESTION DOES NOT SUPPORT MORE THAN 2 GIG, no matter what the Gigabyte support tech wanted to shove up your backside...I hope your paper route supports that computer dream you're building!
m
l
!