Overclocking Corei5 2400

itshammad

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi guys
I want to overclock my Corei5 2400 to 3.8Ghz. I know it is a locked processor but it is achievable to get 4.1 with single core and 3.8 with all cores. I never overclocked a processor, i know that i need to do something with base clock, multiplier and voltages. I have got Asus P8H67-V mobo. Auto tunning utility overclocked it to 3.5GHZ.
Please help me and give me simple values to put and overclock my processor.

My specs
Corei5 2400
Cpu cooler V6GT
Asus P8H67-V
Corsair XMS3 4GB-1600

Solution

First: If you're going to make fun of me, at least spell my name right.

Second:
For a large number of games, there is absolutely no difference between a 2500K at 3.3GHz stock and one overclocked to 4.8GHz.

Why?

Because those games aren't limited by the speed of the CPU -- they're limited by GPU horsepower instead.

Yes I am a gamer, but the primary reason I overclock is because I run Einstein@Home. The calculations that program does most definitely do benefit from increased CPU speed. I run five instances at once -- one for each CPU core, and one on the GPU using CUDA. The GPU does the E@H work units much faster than the CPU, but with...
You can't do it with what you have.
The 2400 has a locked multiplier. Only the "K" versions can be overclocked.

Also, you need a P67 or Z68 based motherboard to be able to overclock a "K".
It may be possible to get a 3% improvement with BCLK overclock, but that is iffy, and not worth it.

It is possible to overclock the integrated graphics a bit.

The 2400 is a great cpu, enjoy it for what it is.

Yeah, you can only overclock the non-K CPUs if your mainboard's BIOS will let you. P67 boards will let you no problem. H67 boards are iffy -- some will and some won't.

If you can find the CPU multiplier setting in the BIOS, you can try setting that to 38x and then set the CPU voltage to 1.25v or so.

Is there a specific reason you think you need to overclock? It won't actually improve performance in most cases.

I think you mean that you can only overclock the K cpu's. Even P67 boards can not overclock the non K cpu's. The confusion comes in that sometimes you can overclock the integrated graphics without a K.

itshammad

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Asus software is letting me overclock 2 ways
1. Auto tunning, it increased the gpu frequency 850mhz to 1450mhz
and increased boost 3.38 to 3.5GHZ, i know that 3.8 is achievable but manually.
2. Manually these options are given, now i dont know what value to put or increase. These values are not default and adjusted by Asus auto tunning soft.

TurboV
BCLK Frequency 103MHZ
CPU Voltage 1.165
DDR Voltage 1.5

Advanced Mode
VCCIO Voltage 1.050
CPU PPL Voltage 1.8
PCH Voltage 1.050

GPU Boost
iGPU max freq 1450
iGPU Voltage 0.15

First: If you're going to make fun of me, at least spell my name right.

Second:
For a large number of games, there is absolutely no difference between a 2500K at 3.3GHz stock and one overclocked to 4.8GHz.

Why?

Because those games aren't limited by the speed of the CPU -- they're limited by GPU horsepower instead.

Yes I am a gamer, but the primary reason I overclock is because I run Einstein@Home. The calculations that program does most definitely do benefit from increased CPU speed. I run five instances at once -- one for each CPU core, and one on the GPU using CUDA. The GPU does the E@H work units much faster than the CPU, but with overclocking, the CPU's not too far behind.

itshammad:
Do these steps in the BIOS, not the auto-tuning software:
Increase the CPU voltage to 1.25v
Change the CPU multiplier to 38x
Save and exit

That should give you the maximum overclock you can do.

Solution