Why ssd for my gaming pc

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
hi,i am building a new core i5 2500k gaming pc soon,and i am am wondering if a solid state drive is worth the money,and how my gaming would benefit from this type of drive.??

Solution
Hey Guys,

There's still a lot of discussion in general about whether SSD do help with gaming performance. Does it help overall game performance? No, your GPU is still the top dog in terms of gaming performance. What about some aspects? Yes. As some mentioned, loading times are quicker, although maybe not as dramatic as you maybe would expect. If you count turning on your computer to get to your game faster then yes it helps in that respect too!

Hope this helps you with your question!

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Your computer will benefit from this drive. Your gaming... not much. No frame rate increase. Very little load time increase.

However, one thing the z68 chipset will do is HYBRID your ssd and your hdd. Buy an intel v 40 gb drive and a 1tb cav black.

The chipset will allow you to use the 40GB drive as a hybrid and it will put the 'most used' programs on the ssd. It's like having your two or three favorite games on speed dial.

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

thanks for the advice,i like the idea of having a ssd drive in my nrw build,i will consider the cost before i buy,thanks again

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Uhm...no

Your gaming won't see an fps increase, but loading maps and opening the game up itself will be much faster generally, depending on the game if compared to a regular HDD.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Well i don't have a ssd also but i mainly play battlefield bc2 and even if your the 1st one to load up in bad company 2 there's still a timer so for battlefield you don't need ssd a regular 7200rpm hard drive will work just fine. Same with blackops you still have a timer even if you loaded up fast. This will probably go for every multiplayer game because it wouldn't be fair if someone loaded up faster then you. But for games like Crysis or GTA 4 i guess it's worth it.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Kinda like the Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive?

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

That's how I read it. But the seagate has only 4gb of ssd and a standard 5400rpm disk (i think). You can use an intel v25 ssd and a raptor to win at both ends.

icy dock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Hey Guys,

There's still a lot of discussion in general about whether SSD do help with gaming performance. Does it help overall game performance? No, your GPU is still the top dog in terms of gaming performance. What about some aspects? Yes. As some mentioned, loading times are quicker, although maybe not as dramatic as you maybe would expect. If you count turning on your computer to get to your game faster then yes it helps in that respect too!

Hope this helps you with your question!

Solution