Watercooling problems

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You might wish to give more information.

What CPU? What clock speeds? What are ambient temps? How is it setup? Pics? Do you have good flow? What games? What % load?

It isn't horrible, but I'd think your idle temps might be a tad lower...but all in all...pretty decent for the most part.

Caveman656

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Sorry. I'm using the fans that came with the kit so they aren't the best. I'm using the intel i5 760, that's overclocked at 3.6GHz. I was playing Half like 2 and team fortress 2. I don't know the ambient temps, but it's kinda warm, The loop is fairly good.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Temps look ok to me, you might get slightly better temps with higher CFM fans (look for 50CFM, or better). This also depends on what DbA you are willing to take (noise, the higher, the noisier). Although I may get bashed for it, I like the SilenX 120mm 72CFM fans (~20DbA).

Those temps seems normal to me if i consider all info you gave. For instance: my q6600 idles normally at 23C ambient 21C. Now in my room is about 32C in summer, and idels at 35. I use kandalf LCS wich is a 360cm radiator with 3 fans and a decent block with artcic silver 5. You didnt metion your thermal paste thou, that could be adding about 3-5 C.

Did u run prime 95 to discard a bad block mounting? sometimes people mount their blocks and they are slightly blocked by something else like finpins from a motherboard.
If prime 95 gives you a instant warning to shut down then its probably it, if not i guess those are your temps.

I bought that same Rasa kit and FYI the Rasa block itself is pretty good, Rasa chose to put the pump inside the reservoir, which adds heat because the pump is being cooled in the water flow too adding to the total heat.

Also the pump inside the reservoir creates an electromagnetic field that the water is 100% exposed to, which causes frosting inside the tubing way faster than it should, noticeable with clear distilled water, wouldn't be noticeable with colored fluid, until you drain the system.

Why it happens? I don't have a clue, but it doesn't happen with a pump mounted outside the reservoir, so take that information for what it's worth to you.

That is lesson one of my lessons learned the hard way!

That kit is fully matched, the pump flow rate is not adjustable, it is matched to the radiator and the temps you're getting is basically the best you'll get with that kit.

So adding higher cfm fans to a low cfm designed radiator, won't make much if any difference at all, adding a new dual pass more efficient radiator, adds flow restriction the pump was not designed for.

So bottomline, either be satisfied with what you have, or completely go to a larger water cooling setup, with a superb cooling quad fan radiator w high performance fans, a variable flow quality pump, and an independent reservoir, a system capable of delivering much better temps overall.

You could reuse the water block, as it is the best component of the entire cooling kit.

I'm sorry this is not better news for you, but I've already done the things I've listed testing the Rasa kit, and hopefully my lesson learned the hard way, will at least save you the monetary expense loss of learning the same lesson.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Rasa CPU block is one of the best, currently...top 3-5 I believe for cost/performance. The Rasa kit pump is decent, not amazing by any means, but good enough for most stock components, even a multi-block and multi-rad loop in many cases. I'll agree that the Rasa kit pump could be better, but for the cost of the kit, it's good for what it does and what you pay.

Better than LCS coolers for minimal bump in cost?

Definitely so.