Beginner Air Cooling Questions

FarTooJones

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
If I want to use a fan controller to control all my case fans, do the case fans need to be variable rpm/airflow, or does the controller negate the need for that?

Can someone suggest some decent quality 120mm and 140mm fans? No leds please.

Does a controller work for just case fans, or could it work for cpu fans, psu fans, and gpu fans? I'm not sure i'm brave enough to try anything other than case fans.

Thanks for the help so far.

sap chicken

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Well, the fan voltage controls the rpm of the fan so in that way every fan is variable, the fan controller just adjusts those voltages and changes the RPM of the fan so yes the controller negate the need for that.

Some decent quality fans are the branded ones, scythe has some good low priced fans, Noctuna and Thermalright has some very good but not cheap fans, its just a matter of budget and performance VS sound.

You plug the fans into the fan controller so it wont change any fan speeds as long as you don't plug them into it. It wont change the PSU and GPU fan because those are controlled by the onboard fan controller of the thing.

For the case and CPU fan part, it depends on what kind of fans they are, most fan controllers work with 3 pin fan connectors and thus only fans with 3 pin connectors work on the fan controller.