2tb hdd partitions? fragmentation?

D

Deleted member 362816

Quick question if i make 4 partitions like 500gb for music,500gb for videos,500gb for games and 500gb for os and os needs will this fragment less than if i were to use one partition or not, some of my friends have 1tbs and there so fragmented its not even funny.

Solution
It won't affect speed in a tangible way. If your OS is on an SSD, then a good reason to partition your 2TB drive is for logical separation of your data, like keeping your games and music on different shelves. However, if you had folders for your games, music and what not, then that would be fine to.

As far as issues go with fragmentation, with windows off your HDD, it won't be a big worry.
Fragmentation is handled much better in windows 7, but in general, yes it will. If you put frequently moved files into one partition, and static files (i.e. music/video) that don't move folders, you will cut down on file fragmentation.

I find partitions help with logical organization more however, and would recommend you place your music and movies into one partition for greater flexibility. Call this the "media" drive.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Your giving your Defragmenter less space to analyze and reparition I was wondering too if that makes a difference to look through 500GB at a time rather than One big chunk 2terrabytes! Also as I remember Disk Keeper is the fasest defragmenter the full version of windows defragment!

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Why would most people ditch corporate version and stick with Lite I remeber the full version has moer options, and personally i would rather buy the full version get the full software code! but with all these firewall options having pc tool included and defragmenting it looks tougher on sales also, I don't have the money to spend now $70 so getting a software defragmenter with internet security packages is a plus!

D

Deleted member 362816

Can we stay on topic here please.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Np just mentioning I think its one of the best defragmenters and if you want fast software I would reccomend it! Check out the benchmarks on Cnet, it was one of the fastest or Maximum PC News!

Licensing costs, costs of support and repair, overhead, and Win7 is "good enough".

Anyway, CIA24, we can stay on topic, and you have a set of good responses and no input from you. Have we answered your questions or do you have any input on what has been said?

D

Deleted member 362816

I am getting mixed storys other then on here people are telling me that it is a bad idea and that it will kill my speed for gaming and such. But then again i competely forgot that i have a SSD for my OS so, for a simple answer if the 2tb hdd is going to have 1 tb of music/movies and the rest game am i better of partitiong 1tb for games 1th for movies and such?

I don't usually partition drives, but when/if I do, I usually have one partition for the OS and one partition for the rest. The reason for this is so that I can backup just my data. Also, if needed, I can reinstall the OS quickly without needing to worry about my data.

I don't segregate my data into movies, music, and so forth because if a partition runs low on space, it can be a pain to try and resize a partition, if it's even possible at that point. For this reason, I simply make seperate folders for movies, music, and such.

It won't affect speed in a tangible way. If your OS is on an SSD, then a good reason to partition your 2TB drive is for logical separation of your data, like keeping your games and music on different shelves. However, if you had folders for your games, music and what not, then that would be fine to.

As far as issues go with fragmentation, with windows off your HDD, it won't be a big worry.

Solution

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Well With different partitions seperated for games and music files and photos , they have a different kilobyte 512KB sektor or 4MB sektors! This leads to the softwre scanning your music files all in the 512KB sektor range and lets say than scans a partition which is 4MB of photos which is constant in the range! doesn't it speeds up scanning of the HDD and Softwre to analyze all similar sektors in a partition rasther than scanning 10KB-4MB sektor ranges! I remeber with raid it allows you to use sektor range 128kb-512kb or 1024mb depending on what your files are music-Photos-Gaming files to speed sektors up and have less clusters of files whichs peeds up efficientcy! Too many clusters of sektors isn't economically when you use up 10kb-200kb and use 512kb sektors or 1024mb you have wasted the empty space of a sektor and maybe leave it opening to viruses filling it in!

I don't know what you are specificity trying to say. Yes there is potential to waste space with larger sector sizes, but in return, you have more data that can be read at the same time, thus speeding up read times, but by a very little bit.

sidewinderdt

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Well, the thread is solved, but just to add my $0.02 to the cluster size discussion: if you have lots of small files on the volume, then smaller cluster sizes are good since they minimize wastage of space due to incomplete use of clusters. If you have mostly large files, then larger cluster sizes are okay, since the wastage from incomplete use of clusters is less.

Incidentally, when formatted with cluster sizes smaller than 16kB, the default defragger in Vista (and I suppose 7 too) wouldn't play nice with the shadow copy service. I don't think this bug has been fixed so far. Only a few of the commercial (not freeware) defrag utilities have some algorithms to recognize and deal with this (to a certain extent).

As for partition sizes, I've never bothered to partition for several years now...currently I run 2x 1TB and 2X 640GB HDDs, and none are partitioned. All work just fine; fragmentation is a non-issue..just stick a good auto defragger on the system and let it handle that part, you don't need to worry about it.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

well with technology like advanced format that increases sektor size from 512KB to 4MB it helps to be able to tweak things yourself to make your partition more effecient like a maximum pc tweaker type of eprson I'm going into detail in depth from My A+ 2003 Certification and reading from toms hardware forum!

1 more Q anything new going on with A+2011 or Strata PC Technology 2011 that you can release! :bounce:

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

These numbers are very incorrect. The sector size is 512 Byte and not KB, which if used would lead to a minimum read/write of 512 KB = terrible performance for random IO.

And it is also not 4 MB but 4 KB that is the next sector size. Imagine a 4 MB read for every access, it would degrade your drive to a minimum.

The sector size is also at the hardware level and not at the operating system controlled partition level, so there could not be different sector sizes on different partitions on the same drive.

adir670

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Of course you have to defrag your computer from time to time, but the important thing is the defragment software you use.
You have to know how to choose the best defrag software for you, I recommend you to enter this website: http://bestdefragsoftware.org/ you can read here some great information about it.