Sign in with
Your question

Not recognizing hard drive.

Last response: in Storage
March 15, 2011 12:05:07 PM

I just purchased a used computer that was reformatted. it has a 500g 7200rpm drive and a 120g 10000rpm drive.It only recognizes the 120gig drive. Im not sure if it just needs a driver or not. the drivers i found were $30. i would hate to pay for a driver. Does anyone have a link to a free driver or know how to fix.

More about : recognizing hard drive

a b G Storage
March 15, 2011 1:45:42 PM

You never have to pay for a driver (vary rarely). In device manager, can you see both hard drives?

What operating system are you running?
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2011 12:38:56 AM

CompTIA_Rep said:
You never have to pay for a driver (vary rarely). In device manager, can you see both hard drives?

What operating system are you running?

Windows 7- and I only see one drive in device manager. I have two drives. A regular 500g and a gaming 120g. The 120g is the one that is recongnized.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 16, 2011 1:00:03 PM

I'd recommend going into bios and making sure it is there. I'm guessing BIOS will only show one drive, but thats a good place to start.

If it doesn't, power off the computer, touch the case, unplug the PC, and check the connections to the hard drive. Both should be exactly the same.

If they are both plugged in well, with the case off, power up your computer and carefully put your finger on the top of the hard drive that isn't showing up. (touch the top metal not the circuit, and touch a grounding screw on a power outlet or the case itself first to avoid shocks).

If it is getting power, let me know what you find.

m
l
March 22, 2011 1:32:10 AM

CompTIA_Rep said:
I'd recommend going into bios and making sure it is there. I'm guessing BIOS will only show one drive, but thats a good place to start.

If it doesn't, power off the computer, touch the case, unplug the PC, and check the connections to the hard drive. Both should be exactly the same.

If they are both plugged in well, with the case off, power up your computer and carefully put your finger on the top of the hard drive that isn't showing up. (touch the top metal not the circuit, and touch a grounding screw on a power outlet or the case itself first to avoid shocks).

If it is getting power, let me know what you find.

I found that the drive was not connected. I plugged it in and it recognized it in the bios, but not in windows. I can not figure out how to get windows to recognize it. It does show this in the devices (Marvell 91xx Config ATA Device). I am not sure what it is. It says that it does not have the drivers for it.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 22, 2011 3:30:54 AM

At ths point, can you follow what wyomingknot said? Partition an d format?
m
l
a c 300 G Storage
March 22, 2011 11:44:24 AM

CompTIA_Rep said:
Handing out A+ certs like they are candy. Want some? Here, take a handful.

I'll take four, please.
m
l
!