Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

I5 2500k Extreme Overclocking (Watercooled) HELP!

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 25, 2011 11:05:00 AM

Hey all, I'll try and be quick with this.
I've manage to overclock my i5 2500k to 4817.5MHz (102.5 x 47) @ 1.45v (60-70°C). I REALLY want to reach 5GHz, but every time I up the multiplier to 49 for 102.5 x 49 (5022.5MHz) I BSOD after 5 minutes of windows 7 & reach temps, upward of 75°C.

Is there any workaround to fix my problem? The silicone lottery in Australia, quite frankly is totally f*cked; both my friend & I are both reach 70°C + & are having to lower the clocks.

My system:
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k | XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 (UV Blue w/ Gelid Wings)
M/B: Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
GPU: Asus GTX560 TI
RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 (1640MHz CL8 O/C)
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 650D
PSU: Corsair HX850
SSD: OCZ Vertex II 80GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
OTHERS: Bitfenix Alchemy Blue Cables, Scythe Kaze Server, Asus DVDRW

My settings:
Multiplier: 47
Core Clock: 102.5
vCore: 1.450-1.475
Load Line Calibration: Extreme
CPU Allocated Current: 140% (100% stock)
VRM Frequency: 450 kHz (300 kHz Stock)
Spread Spectrum: Enabled

Why am I getting such terrible thermals? I have the processor watercooled & all; would it be the chip itself?
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 11:11:31 AM

Whats your watercooling setup? and your ambient air temp?
Score
0
June 25, 2011 12:14:50 PM

XSPC 750 Pump/Reservoir => XSPC Rasa CPU Waterblock => XSPC RS240 Radiator. ~20-22°C
Score
0
Related resources
June 25, 2011 12:15:21 PM

Also, I don't go over 35°C @ idle.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 1:07:41 PM

Your CPU block isn't the best and your Rad is very slim.

Your temps aren't really that surprising considering your putting so much voltage through the chip.

If you had a better chip that could do 5Ghz with less volts then obviously your temps would be much better. I expect you could get a 5Ghz CPU-Z validation but not 24/7 OC.

4.8Ghz to slow?
Score
0
June 25, 2011 1:11:29 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Your CPU block isn't the best and your Rad is very slim.

Your temps aren't really that surprising considering your putting so much voltage through the chip.

If you had a better chip that could do 5Ghz with less volts then obviously your temps would be much better. I expect you could get a 5Ghz CPU-Z validation but not 24/7 OC.

4.8Ghz to slow?


A radiator any larger won't fit in my case... Regarding the 5GHz... E-peen my friend, E-peen. :lol: 
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 1:22:20 PM

lol, you have to decide how much your E-peen meens to you, If its very important then put more volts through it and keep trying for 5Ghz, If money is a bit tight then obviously don't do it.
Score
0
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 2:55:39 PM

intel1502 said:
Hey all, I'll try and be quick with this.
I've manage to overclock my i5 2500k to 4817.5MHz (102.5 x 47) @ 1.45v (60-70°C). I REALLY want to reach 5GHz, but every time I up the multiplier to 49 for 102.5 x 49 (5022.5MHz) I BSOD after 5 minutes of windows 7 & reach temps, upward of 75°C.

Is there any workaround to fix my problem? The silicone lottery in Australia, quite frankly is totally f*cked; both my friend & I are both reach 70°C + & are having to lower the clocks.

My system:
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k | XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 (UV Blue w/ Gelid Wings)
M/B: Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
GPU: Asus GTX560 TI
RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 (1640MHz CL8 O/C)
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 650D
PSU: Corsair HX850
SSD: OCZ Vertex II 80GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
OTHERS: Bitfenix Alchemy Blue Cables, Scythe Kaze Server, Asus DVDRW

My settings:
Multiplier: 47
Core Clock: 102.5
vCore: 1.450-1.475
Load Line Calibration: Extreme
CPU Allocated Current: 140% (100% stock)
VRM Frequency: 450 kHz (300 kHz Stock)
Spread Spectrum: Enabled

Why am I getting such terrible thermals? I have the processor watercooled & all; would it be the chip itself?



First off drop the core clock back to 100
Disable Spread Spectrum

Your highest 1.475v for me will run 5.0ghz in Win7 64bit, I can run 5.0ghz in WinXP 32bit @ 1.465v, so there's a definite difference in required voltage for both platforms, why are you telling me this?

Basically because with your Ambient room temperature and your cooling you should at least be able to get to 5.0ghz but have no temperature leeway, simply because the cooling you have is not adequate for sustained 5.0ghz running.

It's not really going to matter if you go to a larger radiator, because even the highest performing radiator loop is not going to get you to your 5.0ghz goal simply because of the heat the Sandy Bridge produces @ 5.0ghz.

The Rasa cooling you have is a cheap starting solution and there's nothing wrong with the Rasa cooling block, the problem really is the pump that you cannot increase or decrease it's flow rate and it's inside the reservoir, great for cute and good looks inside a computer but definitely the wrong solution for overclocking your Sandy Bridge.

I'm not trying to insult you here so don't take it that way Please, I also have the same setup as you, then bought a higher performing radiator, but the Rasa pump fell short at that point because the pump is matched to the radiator, bought a new pump Swiftech MCP655 and reservoir, but the performance @ 5.0ghz only changed by 2c.

So did that solve the problem?

No!

Why?

Because to get what you're after it takes an actual 10c water temperature, do you think any pump/reservoir/radiator loop on the planet will deliver that?

To be Prime95 stable with no thermal throttling it takes 5c, and at 8c condensation begins, so you may want to rethink your goals, or prepare yourself for a total change of how you're cooling. Ryan




Score
0
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 3:00:40 PM

@Ryan, why would you need to go 5C to be prime stable?

Its perfectly possible to get to 5Ghz with good water cooling.
Score
0
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 3:59:12 PM

Rustyy117 said:
@Ryan, why would you need to go 5C to be prime stable?

Its perfectly possible to get to 5Ghz with good water cooling.


You can get to 5.0ghz but that's an illusion, because any load that takes you out of the thermal window automatically drops your multiplier and you're no longer running 5.0ghz, test it yourself using a temperature monitoring program like Real temp,and CPU-Z to monitor the multiplier drop.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 4:52:53 PM

4Ryan6 said:
You can get to 5.0ghz but that's an illusion, because any load that takes you out of the thermal window automatically drops your multiplier and you're no longer running 5.0ghz, test it yourself using a temperature monitoring program like Real temp,and CPU-Z to monitor the multiplier drop.


Doesn't happen to me as I have my thermal limit set to 90C... not 5C :) 
Score
0
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 4:58:49 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Doesn't happen to me as I have my thermal limit set to 90C... not 5C :) 


What CPU are you running?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 25, 2011 5:52:26 PM

Core i7 960 @4.425Ghz 1.47V
Score
0
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 26, 2011 2:13:47 AM

Rustyy117 said:
Doesn't happen to me as I have my thermal limit set to 90C... not 5C :) 


Rustyy117 said:
Core i7 960 @4.425Ghz 1.47V


I thought there had to be some legitimate explanation for such a clueless statement, obviously you completely missed the fact the 2500K is the 1155 Sandy Bridge Platform not the 1366 platform, 2 completely different overclocking platforms which definitely do not behave the same.

Try reading these threads in the future, thinking your information is the same and viable for all platforms is a serious misconception on your part, which can lead to providing false information, a THGF Terms of Use violation and you don't want to cross that line.

So you can officially take this as a warning! 4ryan6
Score
0
!