Need new CPU - currently have Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
September 27, 2009 7:22:49 PM

Hi all

I was wanting to update my current CPU, which is a Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz

I currently have a Dell Dimension 9150, 2046 RAM, Chipset 945p, 375 watts and a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512Mb graphics card

Is there any obvious CPU's I should be going for, for my current rig that is compliant with my computer set up.

The reason I ask is that a friend of mine is giving me a copy of Crysis and I have heard it can be very demanding, which has made me look at my current PC and I have realised it is probably going to be cheaper to update the odd piece than buy a whole new PC.

Already got a new graphics card (See above)

Any help is much appreciated

Kind regards

Levtweeney

More about : cpu intel pentium cpu 80ghz

September 27, 2009 7:28:22 PM

even the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512Mb graphics card will be limited

get the fastest one you can afford the amd p2 955x4 or 965 is good and cheap
a c 159 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 27, 2009 8:56:48 PM

Your dell motherboard is probably a btx format. Best chipset board available in the usa is the 965 . Fujitsu sells some g31 boards that are btx in the uk which will work with most core2 duo and quad cpus; your current board won't support any of the newer core2 duo cpus. My advice is to ditch the dell case for an atx one, then you can upgrade to any of the newer cpus, including the amd 620 propus ($99 at newegg) or the core i5 with ddr3.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2009 10:37:11 PM

You have the "I want to upgrade my old prebuild Dell blues"
No matter how much money you spend, you still have an old slow Dell.
You can only upgrade the processor to a very slightly faster Pentuim D, that is it.
Not worth the money you will spend, forget it.

Be happy with your video card upgrade, which by the way, that card is not fast enough to make Crysis run liquid smooth anyway, or dig into you pockets and come up with enough money to start all over with a new build.

a c 87 à CPUs
September 27, 2009 11:45:02 PM

Before you start plunking money down, don't forget that your copy of windows is probably tied to your Dell bios. You'll need to factor in the cost of a new copy of windows if you replace the motherboard.

How much money do you have to spend?
September 28, 2009 7:07:58 AM

thanks to all who replied.

Looks like I will have to struggle on with my poor little Dell. Ain't got the money to buy a new Rig (Or so my wife tells me) and if my board won't support much else in the CPU world then I suppose I will have to struggle on through.

Thanks for trying though guys (or gals)

Levtweeney
September 28, 2009 2:02:03 PM

375W Dell PSU for GTS250- does not sound too good.
a c 87 à CPUs
September 28, 2009 9:59:07 PM

Actually if he has that dell 375W, he's fine. That 375W PSU is a good one, and can output 30A on the 12V rail.
!