Looking For A Mini ITX Motherboard - Advice For Small Gaming Project?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi,

I was at my fathers house, playing around with my brother in laws shinny new Ion PC. I was impressed that something like this was finally released on the market. But to cut the long story short, my father and I are interested in building an extremely small gaming PC using an Mini ITX board that supports PCI-e. Now, it would be the better if it supported PCI-e 2.0 since so SLI option is possible, and we would need every drip of juice out of the card we choose. I had in mind the 9800GT SFF (low profile - new egg has them.)

Can anyone here give us any advice on a decent board. It would the world if it supported OC'ing, but I highly doubt that, and I'm not interested anyway, as we will using an e8400. (or a E5200 if a decent OC'ing board is found.) I've found one that supported the E8400, but it had no PCI-e X16 or 2.0 port. Then I found another that supported X16, but only supported Nano CPU's. Any help is appreciated.

Go for the zotac GF 9300 G-E for $139.99 before $15 rebate at newegg. It has a pci-e slot, hdmi port, and 2 ddr2 slots. These boards aren't designed for overclocking, so don't even think about it. The e8400 is plenty fast at stock with a decent video card.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Wow, look what I found:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136073

Any ideas if this is any good? If it is, then we might go for a i5 after all. (good for OC'ing?)

DFI makes good boards; go with the corsair xms3 1600 ddr3 2x2gb for $95 at newegg. If you want to check the bios settings for overclocking, download the manual off DFI's website before ordering. Look for memory and cpu voltage, and memory ratios. I doubt you will find many overclocking settings, but if any brand has them, DFI is the best for bios options.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

It is strange, becuase I've never heard of DFI. I thought seen as its so-so cheap for an i7 CPU board, that it would be simply better getting this... Instead of a LGA775 board.

Will this board support the 920? They seem to be the best sellers for i7.

No. The 920 is socket 1366 and runs at 130 watts. If you want to use one, go with a micro atx board and case. But the i5 is more than adequate for gaming. Whatever you use, you must have a good power supply for your video card. Anything faster than the 4670 chipset will require more than 300 watts. I found a beautiful htpc atx case for only $30 on craigslist. It's a glossy black finish and will fit in most cabinets, and takes any atx power supply. It also came with a 120mm fan. It would be a good choice for any core i7 just for the heat issue.