Sign in with
Your question

Need help with i7 920...

Last response: in CPUs
September 27, 2009 9:03:35 PM

two quick and simple questions and its all over...

1. what is the idle/load temperature of an i7 920 (D0) "no oc-ing" at a room temperature around 37c?

2. how do we check cpu temperature aside from entering bios?

any help will be very appreciated... thank you guys!!!

More about : 920

a b à CPUs
September 27, 2009 9:50:56 PM

Since there's 101 variables, the topic of processor temperatures have no quick and simple answers, so within the constraints and information given, and without knowing which cooler you're using ...

1. To which idle/load temperatures are you referring? CPU or Cores? There's a difference.

2. Download Hardware Monitor 1.14, which displays CPU temperature and Core temperatures.
September 27, 2009 10:12:21 PM

1. The stock cooler for the i7 920 is woefully inadequate, while I've never run it in quite that warm of a room I did run it on a day this summer where we hit 90f (off the top of my head probably about 34-35c). I have since been using the Scythe Mugen-2, but I believe that the stock cooler on the 920 at stock speeds went as high as 84-85c while under full load on this particular day while stress testing with prime 95 for about 5 hours. I believe that the idle temps were in the 50-55c range. And yes, this is ona D0 revision i7

2. Hardware monitor is a nice tool from the cpuid group, it will show temps for anything in the system that has a sensor, on my i7 system this includes a temp for each of the 4 cores, various ambient sensors on the mobo, my gpu, and my hard drives.

Using the Scythe Mugen-2 cooler mentioned above, I have my i7 920 at 3.8 GHz (undervolted to 1.18v) it idles in the mid 40c range and under load using prime 95 will not exceed 75c. If you're dropping the money on a core i7 system, even if you aren't planning on overclocking, I would seriously research an aftermarket cooler to help protect your investment since the least you'll be spending (on proc. and motherboard without anything else) will likely be in the $500 range. My experiences with the Mugen-2 have been great and the performance is comparable to coolers which are nearly twice the price.

P.S. All temps that I've listed are the highest of the temperatures recorded from the individual cores
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 1:07:54 AM

jisheria said:
what is the idle/load temperature of an i7 920 (D0) "no oc-ing" at a room temperature around 37c?
You should be aiming to keep the maximum temperature of the CPU below 68C, as measured by the CPU's case (also known as the Integrated Heat Spreader) temperature. Above that point the CPU will drop out of turbo mode to limit it's total heat dissipation. The core temperatures can be around 5C higher than that temperature.

The temperature at idle is really not a big deal as long as you stay within those limits when the CPU is fully loaded. A good way to test your cooling to see if it's adequate at full load is to run the Prime95 utility (easily found via Google) for at least 10-15 minutes.
September 28, 2009 11:49:49 AM

thanks for the input guys!

by the way, im using cm v8 cpu cooler and haf932 chassis and im idling at 33~43c and im not sure if its normal.
since its my first time build, im not that familiar with temperatures..

and the room temperature of 37c is actually the highest.

@comp
im pertaining about cpu itself^^ il go with the cores later i guess^^ (im just a noob)
September 28, 2009 12:25:59 PM

up!!!^
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 4:07:07 PM

If you're room temperature is really 37C then how on earth are you getting idle temps of 33C?

30s to 40s idle temperature at a normal room temperature is perfectly reasonable.
September 28, 2009 4:28:49 PM

sorry i may have not explained it clearly..

37c is the worst temperature and from there came my question "what do you think the idle/load temps would be?"

i got 33c from entering bios as soon as i turn my system on.

after 15~20mins, it would rise up to 43c idle..
and i dont know if that temperature is normal. bcause as far as im aware of, my cpu cooler sits nicely on my chip, or maybe its the thermal paste that is too thick? unequally applied?

those are one of the facts that bugs my mind up to now.

@psycho
thanks, im gonna try that too instead of my pcprobe(from asus p6t deluxe v2)
and your gpu is actually my crush^^
September 28, 2009 4:31:23 PM

and if i may add, after playing 3 hours of farcry 2, my cpu temp rises up to high 50~60c, isnt that too hot? considering normal room temperature?
September 28, 2009 5:36:48 PM

ouch.. thats too sexy..

two 5870 will definitely send your computer flying up to the top of mount everest^^

how i wish i can get two of them^^
September 28, 2009 5:49:33 PM

but how about the answer to my question?^^
September 28, 2009 7:56:24 PM

up!!!
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 11:17:57 PM

jisheria said:
and if i may add, after playing 3 hours of farcry 2, my cpu temp rises up to high 50~60c, isnt that too hot? considering normal room temperature?
Refer to my previous post about max should be no more than 68C, measured at the CPU case.
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 5:01:50 AM

sminlal said:
measured at the CPU case.

sminlal,

I appreciate your help and support, as well as the knowledge and efforts shown in your posts, and I'm sorry to beleaguer the point, but respectfully, your expression of CPU temperature measurement (Tcase) is a little vague to those who don't know what that means, and indicates that you might not have a clear understanding of how it really works. As an engineer, I freely admit that I'm an obsessive-compusive-anal-retentive-perfectionist for definitions, specifications and details.

Let's get this right so that when we both post answers to help our readers, we can both post information that doesn't contradict one another, and doesn't confuse others, in a topic that Intel has made far too complicated and confusing. I am posting this for everyones benefit as well, so if I'm covering some material that seems a little basic for you, then I apologize in advance, as this is not intended to insult your intelligence ... please bear with me ...

From my Temperature Guide:

"Section 2: Specifications

Intel Thermal Specifications:

(<>) The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader.

Section 3: Interpretation

(<>) The ... spec refers to a single measuring point on the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS). Since a thermocouple is embedded in the IHS for Intel laboratory testing only, CPU temperature is instead measured using a Thermal Diode centered under the Cores... The CPU case Thermal Diode is how Tcase is measured, and is the CPU temperature displayed in BIOS and SpeedFan.

Section 5: Findings

(A) Tcase is acquired on the CPU substrate from the CPU case Thermal Diode as an analog level, which is converted to a digital value by the super I/O (Input/Output) chip on the motherboard. The digital value is BIOS Calibrated and displayed by temperature software. Motherboard BIOS Calibration affects the accuracy of Tcase, or CPU temperature."

Here's the simplified explanation; since Tcase is an Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) measurement, which is performed only at Intel's labs using very specialized methods and test equipment, under highly controlled conditions, there's no practical means to actually measure Tcase in a PC. So the CPU case Thermal Diode is integrated into the processor substrate material, that instead replicates a measurement of the overall temperature of the entire processor package, which is "CPU temperature", and is loosely refered to as "Tcase", since the values are calibrated in BIOS to reference one another.

It would therefore be consistent, accurate, and correct to amend your answer to include; "as measured at the CPU case Thermal Diode, which is the analog sensor that's centered under the Cores within the processor substrate material". It goes back to what I so often preach; it's very important to be specific, otherwise processor temperatures make about as much sense as comparing apples-to-oranges thermal fruit salad in a blender. I can't overemphasize enough how important it is that we're all on the same page, so that our readers have a clear understanding of exactly what is being discussed.

Technically speaking, there's more to it than this, however, I rarely offer discussion at that level, since it introduces yet another dimension and set of variables, which I gaurantee, will very thoroughly confuse all but the most advanced and astute enthusiasts, with the exception of perhaps those who have read the hundreds of pages of Intel's papers and engineering documents on the topic.

Again, I very sincerely appreciate all your efforts, and keep up the great work! :D 

Comp :sol: 
October 1, 2009 8:36:26 PM

you did it comp^^

thanks a lot for the time you spent explaining vital info that will definitely help a lot of readers.

and thanks to sminlal as well^^ this thread is done...
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 11:08:08 PM

CompuTronix said:
I'm sorry to beleaguer the point, but respectfully, your expression of CPU temperature measurement (Tcase) is a little vague to those who don't know what that means
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I appreciate that there are a lot of subtleties to the topic, my aim is to answer in simple terms that are "close enough" for those who are intimidated by techspeak ("close enough for government work", as I like to say ;)  ).

Jisheria, good luck with your system!
!