Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Rig Setup

Last response: in Systems
June 25, 2009 1:41:08 PM

This is what me and a friend have put together for a gaming machine, trying to use all good brands of hardware for my bugdet.
Please give your advice as I want to order this rig soonish.

Thanks.

Ps. I looked at the i7 setup but don't seem worth it atm as its still really expensive for what your getting.

More about : gaming rig setup

June 25, 2009 7:47:22 PM

Anyone please :p 
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
June 25, 2009 9:15:36 PM

intel socket 775 is discontinued .

There are no new processors and no future development .
In the US its also more expensive than more powerful AMD quads and triple cores
and the AMD's produce better gaming results
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/8.h...
Related resources
June 25, 2009 10:00:24 PM

Outlander_04 said:
intel socket 775 is discontinued .

There are no new processors and no future development .
In the US its also more expensive than more powerful AMD quads and triple cores
and the AMD's produce better gaming results
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/8.h...

+1

If you wanted to upgrade again in a few years time it'll need another overhaul as you've gone pretty much as far as you can with 775. It might be worth looking into an AMD machine.
June 26, 2009 6:53:02 AM

I was told that quad cores are still going to be around for a few years and its not worth paying out for a i7 as they are still new and way over priced and this would be the best option to go for and would last me 3 years.
June 26, 2009 6:54:40 AM

edit. Also wouldn't the only things that I would need to change be the motherboard, cpu and maybe the ram
June 26, 2009 3:52:47 PM

I agree with the earlier poster, the socket 775 is dead, but I'm running a q6600 overclocked to 3.2ghz and it runs fine, the I7 or phenom II would be better options though, other than that sounds awesome. I would go with phenom II myself, the I7 motherboards are to fraking expensive.
June 26, 2009 5:43:35 PM

You can save money by going with an phenom 2 X3 720 and attempt to unlock the 4th core. If it doesn't unlock you still got 3 cores and that processor can easily overclock to 3.6ghz on air. This way you wont have to buy a whole new mobo/cpu/ram later on down the road.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
June 26, 2009 5:56:48 PM

A-Bentley said:
I was told that quad cores are still going to be around for a few years and its not worth paying out for a i7 as they are still new and way over priced and this would be the best option to go for and would last me 3 years.

A Q9550 is still a powerful processor and will keep you satisfied for years. When it comes time to upgrade, you will have to upgrade your MB and RAM also however, as by that time LGA 775 CPUs will be gone and DDR2 will be gone.

If that seems fine, then I say go for it.

If you would like to keep your upgrade options open, then get an AM3 board and X4 955, along with DDR3. If you tell us where you are shopping perhaps we can point you to a better build.
June 26, 2009 7:18:04 PM

I am using http://www.conrad-international.com/ as I live in cyprus and thats the best place for me to buy from.

I am not looking to upgrade this for atleast 3 years, upgrading the GFX as I go to perform better for newer games, and then by that time i7 cpus and motherboards will be cheaper and I'll be happy to upgrade my system them or even build a new one and pass this onto a family member like I always do. but if you can make a better system for gaming for the same price with that monitor. keyboard and mouse. I would be very greatful.
a b 4 Gaming
June 26, 2009 8:02:35 PM

In 3 years I doubt you'll even get an i7 :)  Things change fast.

Quote:
I am using http://www.conrad-international.com/ as I live in cyprus and thats the best place for me to buy from.

Dammit, now I want an RC helicopter. :p  This is a great international site, I'm glad I looked.

Ok let's see:

I can't figure out how to link to parts at that site but I'll give you the names:

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P SO.AM3 - A bit less than your MB choice, because AMD boards cost less in general.
AMD PHENOM II X4 955 BLACK EDITION - Equal to the Q9550, but costs a bit more here.
OCZ PLATINUM 4GB KIT DDR3-1333MHZ - A bit more expense here, this is where you pay for the upgrade-ability.

They don't seem to have the better WD 1TB drive.

That's all I have. I think you will be happy with either build, really.
June 27, 2009 9:10:52 AM

Cheers proximon, I'll have alook at those parts and see what I think :D . And yeh its a good site its not too expensive and has alot to offer those people that live in countrys like me where its hard to get components, and its only 11.99 euros shipping world wide.
a b 4 Gaming
June 27, 2009 11:13:40 PM

Nice. Yes I added the link to my parts list, where I keep a list of online retailers sorted by country.
June 28, 2009 7:06:58 AM

Wicked, I hope that site helps out alot of other people they were in my situation, as It took me over a month to find a good site for me to deal with.
!