HELP!!! I NEED TO UPGRADE MY PC... THINKING OF BUILDING ONE...

shade0726

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
HI, I'M A FREELANCE PROGRAMMER WHO DEVELOPS GRAPHICS AND ANIMATIONS FOR ONLINE CONTENT. I'M CONCERNED WITH SPEED, STORAGE, AND RELIABILIY. I WANT TO MINIMIZE THE COST OF THE SYSTEMS BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF MY KEY REQUIREMENTS. I WORKWORK ON ONE TO TWO PROJECTS A MONTH. EACH PROJECT GENERATES BETWEEN 1.5 GB TO 3.0 GB OF DATA FILES. I NEED TO KEEP ARCHIVES FOR ALL MY PROJECTS, BOTH FOR MY OWN USE AND BECAUSE CLIENTS MAY WANT ADDITIONAL WORK BASED ON MY PREVIOUS DELIVERABLES. YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED GUYS!!!!!

shade0726

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: the closer the better

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I'm a programmer, and I develop graphics and animations for on-line content, I do about 2 projects a month, and each project is about 1.5 to 3 gigs. I need to be able to archive my work.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: i'm going to need all parts, because i want a competely new system

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I don't really have a preferred website, I'd just like to get the best deals.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I don't have a parts preference, as long as they are quality parts.

OVERCLOCKING: no/ maybe... SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1600x1200 (not extremely important)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I use current versions of Photoshop and Flash as my main tools, I'd like to keep the price as low as possible, but I definitely want to have speed, storage,and reliability. I'd say the max I want to spend is 1500, but the lower the number, the better...

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^+1 Agree, you are probably using CS4 right? if so, you want a lot of ram and you want it fast because multi-layered photo editing in photoshop will chew up your CPU and RAM.

-I recommend getting an "Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem"
-I recommend getting 12GB of 1600mhz Triple Channel Memory" (My recommended Manufactures: OCZ, Corsair, Kingston)
-For Hard Drive, since you need to keep your data archives safe then I recommend getting 2 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drives. Connect them in Raid 1. All your important data will be mirrored on 2 hard drives so if one breaks then you have another.
*NOTE ABOUT HARD DRIVES* The reason I recommended a specific 640GB hard drive was because its made of 2 320GB platters inside. If you want to get a 1 Terabyte Hard Drive its going to have 3 platters of 330GB most likley and is going to be much slower, the more platters means its going to be way slower so if you want terabyte hard drives, I recommend getting 10000-rpm or 15000-rpm ones since the spindle speed will compensate a little bit for having an extra platter. There are high density hard drives but they I am pretty sure they are going extremely expensive at this point in time. (My recommended Manufactures for Hard Drives: Western Digital, Hitachi)
-For your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) I recommend getting a business grade card) I would get an nvidia Quadro series, since you aren't doing gaming and a quadro is better suited for photoshop and flash and other programs of similar nature compared to a Ge-force. A 200-300buck card in the Quadro series should do fine i think. I am not quite sure about it though)
-For your Power Supply 700watt should be more then enough! I recommend, (OCZ, Corsair, Coolermaster)
-For your motherboard just get an LGA1366 socket type that supports a QPI of 6.4GT/s and supports 1600mhz ram. Recommended Manufactures: (Asus, Gigabyte, Intel)
-For your case just get a Full ATX tower, you might fit it inside a mid-tower also:
Recommend Manufactures:(Antec, Thermaltake, Coolermaster)

-I hope I didn't miss anything :)

-This should total around 1400 dollars. But we can edit what you need and dont need out of the list :)

-We will get into more specific parts once we narrow down your choices and needs in the computer!

ndositwe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
hunter315 has given you an excellent recommendation - the Core i7 is your best choice.

The Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (Socket LGA 775) or AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (Socket AM3) are other alternative options you may consider. These two alternatives, in performance, will come close (behind) the Core i7 920.

Try to play around with the parts for price for both the Core i7, Core 2 Duad Q9550 and Phenom II X4 955 builds.

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

that is 100% false. maybe in the super low end spectrum, but every professional workstation ive ever used has run nvidia.

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
dell precisions are garbage, dont base it off that. BOXX makes some of the highest end workstations around for 3D/cad/etc. they make dells look like consumer PC's

http://boxxtech.com/

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
How are precisions garbage, I just looked at it, the BOXX use the same processors, the xeon 5500s series, have similar RAM capacity like (100GB) average, have similar graphics cards! Boxx tech cant make it better becuase they just build the computers, they dont make the processors, the ram, the hard drives or anything!! So i completley disagree with you, srry pal. Dell can easily make the same product as Boxx, it all depends what product they buy from the supplier like Intel, micron, western digital and etc.

TRENDING THREADS