Considering an SSD for Windows 7, have questions...

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I recently had one of my two hard drives installed on my machine malfuction. In my attempt to figure out which drive it was, I had wipe my disks and reinstall Windows 7, luckily I had an external hard disk to back up to. Anyway, I've seen 64gb SSD drives for about $70 and was wondering if that is enough room to install windows 7 so I get faster startups.

Am I sure to boot faster with an SSD?

Will the SSD have to be the C: drive?

Do I need to reinstall the operating system? or can I use partition magic to simply copy it from the hard drive to the SSD?

If you have knowledge about this, please also relay any pitfalls you've encountered in installing an SSD drive.

Thanks.

Solution
Am I sure to boot faster with an SSD? You will receive faster boot times with a SSD. Also, you'll see applications open much quicker on the SSD

Will the SSD have to be the C: drive? If you want it as the boot drive with the OS, you'll need to have it installed a the C: drive.

Do I need to reinstall the operating system? or can I use partition magic to simply copy it from the hard drive to the SSD? I would recommend doing a reinstall of the OS on the SSD with the other hard drives disconnected. When you clone a hard drive to a SSD, you can run into a partition alignment issue, which will effect the SSD's performance. It is my opinion, you are better of with the fresh install to avoid any possible...

tecmo34

Administrator
Am I sure to boot faster with an SSD? You will receive faster boot times with a SSD. Also, you'll see applications open much quicker on the SSD

Will the SSD have to be the C: drive? If you want it as the boot drive with the OS, you'll need to have it installed a the C: drive.

Do I need to reinstall the operating system? or can I use partition magic to simply copy it from the hard drive to the SSD? I would recommend doing a reinstall of the OS on the SSD with the other hard drives disconnected. When you clone a hard drive to a SSD, you can run into a partition alignment issue, which will effect the SSD's performance. It is my opinion, you are better of with the fresh install to avoid any possible issues, if that option is available to you.

Solution