Unlocked phenom x2 still showing 2 cores

afrocreeper

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Hi there, got a question. Was able to unlock my Phenom X2 on my Gigabyte Ga-MA770T-UD3P. Bios confirms that the CPU is in fact a Phenom X4 now. All good. So when i boot into windows now, everything works fine except for the fact that CPU-Z and task manager still show only 2 cores, even though CPU-Z sees the processor as a Phenom X4. I am even showing 4 processors in my device manager. Am i missing something?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Run Prime95 and see how many threads it auto-starts. Or, download Handbrake or some similar video encoder and reencode a video you have into h.264 and see how fast it goes now, and then disable ACC and see how fast it goes.

afrocreeper

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I ran Prime95 and it only starts 2 of the cores. Even Prime95 sees the processor as a Phenom X4, still only two cores however. I'm just a little confused about everything pointing to it being unlocked and the unlocked cores just not showing up. Thanks for your reply though ;)

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Unlocking the cores won't guarantee they'll work - why do you think they were disabled in the first place?

If you don't have any joy I'd suggest you're one of the "unlucky" ones and got a chip with actually duff cores on it, instead of slightly twitchy ones.

afrocreeper

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
UPDATE - I actually resolved this issue. After no luck fiddling with the CPU and settings, I tried my last ditch effort and reinstalled my copy of windows 7 ultimate. Fixed! CPU-Z, Prime95 all report 4 working cores and I couldn't be happier! Thanks guys for all the advice.