New SSD Hangs

sn_of_randy

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I just got two new SSDs, Corsair F120 (desktop) and Kingston SSDNow V+100 128GB (Laptop).

Prior to those, I had OCZ Agility 60GB, Kingston SSDNow V Series 64GB, Kingston SSDNow V100 128GB (Failed on me by not detecting in BIOS after restart, so RMA'd to V+100). With the exception of that failure, none of those 3 SSDs hang up.

For the F120 and V+100, just like the other 3, they are installed in fresh copy of Windows 7 64-bit in AHCI mode. However, I noticed with the F120 and V+100 that when there are a bit of disk activity going on, it tends to hang. I can move my mouse, but when I click on things, nothing responds. The icon highlights, and depresses as if it's going to open, but the application doesn't. As for HD activity light, it would flash here and there, but not in a way that it seems like it's accessing files.

At first, I thought it was because of the USB hard drive. I disconnected it and used my computer, but it would do it again. both SSDs have about 60% free space left after I installed all my applications. For my desktop, I have a separate drive for My Documents, a regular platter Hard Drive.

When I force power off and restart my computer, when I log back in, it would hang in "Welcome" screen for 5-10 mins, then resume to loading the Windows Desktop.

When it's working, it works great. Any ideas what could be causing this? I have latest and greatest BIOS and drivers for both systems. It's just weird that it only happens in my two new SSDs. I've had the other SSDs for a while and never had problems.

Here's my system specs:
Desktop:
Core i7 930
MSI X58 Pro-E USB3
Corsair XMS3 6GB RAM
GTX 460SE

Laptop:
Dell V13
C2D SU7300
Crucial 4GB RAM

Thanks!