Sign in with
Your question

Does leopard support amd 965 cpu

Last response: in CPUs
September 28, 2009 1:58:53 AM

I have a AMD II X 4 965 BE going on a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P MoBo, will be cross fireing ATI's HD 4870's with 16GB of DDR3 1666+. Will Leopard or Snow Leopard be an issue to install? Has anyone done it yet? Is there a spacific procedure to install it? Thanks trailridden1@cox.net
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 8:43:27 AM

Why, oh why, with such a monster of a PC at your disposal, would you want to install OSX? I assume you're a graphic designer and not a gamer.
September 28, 2009 10:50:07 AM

I thought OSX only runs on Intel hardware, but I could be wrong. Its quite some time since I looked into making Hackintosh, ended up getting cheap second hand MacBook to introduce myself into Apple world by was too lazy to learn using it an sold it again.

You can get more info and ask questions here: http://www.osx86project.org/
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 11:41:30 AM

The 4870 is now supported on the Mac Pro but I doubt you'll get Crossfire support in the ATI Mac drivers. As ainarssems says, check out the OSX86 Project and see.

Also I too have to question why you want to choke your system with OSX, unless this is a dual boot of course. All the design software of any importance is available for the PC, Avid and Premiere Pro are better for video editing than Final Cut Pro, and Quark is a PoS.

So unless you have something specific you need it might be better to just not go through the hassle of OSX at all.
September 28, 2009 5:01:48 PM

If you can't get it to work you can always run a VM. I don't understand why you would want to install it. Graphic designers will use PC because of the processing power advantages they have. Also the boot loader is 32 bit and not 64. It will be 64 once you have loaded everything though. Also you might want to check in to software security for the OSX they have been getting hit hard with intrusions especially with there web browser.

But why do you want to limit your system?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 7:11:25 PM

trailridden1 said:
I have a AMD II X 4 965 BE going on a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P MoBo, will be cross fireing ATI's HD 4870's with 16GB of DDR3 1666+. Will Leopard or Snow Leopard be an issue to install? Has anyone done it yet? Is there a spacific procedure to install it? Thanks trailridden1@cox.net

The short answer is 'No'. Apple do not permit their operating systems to be installed on non-Apple hardware.

As pointed out already - The longer answer is there may be a way to get around their... safeguards.. in order to get the OS installed. OSX86 definitely seems the place to go to learn how to do that.

With regards to Crossfire on OSX - could be wrong, but I can't say I've heard that's even possible.
September 28, 2009 7:25:30 PM

again...............why do u wanna limit your system????????
!