Need Assistance from Experienced Builders

evankim390

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Hi everybody,

I've been using Toms Hardware for quite some time as my go-to site for charts and random information. I truly respect this community, and I think that the most knowledgeable people post on this site. (I've been sorta scared to post my own opinions, which explains my low post count)

While in college, I noticed a very large gap in information when it comes to computer building - there's no one place that new computer builders can go to which outlines everything they need to know about computer building in an easy to follow manner.

As such, I created my own website (I'm not sure if it's against the rules to post it here, so I won't - it's in my profile) which compiles my 5 years or so of computer building knowledge into a single website.

Now, I've been too intimidated to come to this forum and ask for some of you folks to look my site over - it's like me making a site teaching people how to play tennis and then asking a tennis pro to look it over.

However I decided to get over that initial intimidation and ask for a quick browse through my site, purely to make sure that what I'm saying is still sound.

What I'm most unsure of is how Phenom II's stack up against Intel's i7 - I was out of the loop for about a year or so.

If anybody could spare a little bit of their time, I think that this site could become a great resource for new computer builders.

Thanks in advance for your help

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I look at the AMD procs as low cost with good performance (perfect for normal use). and the Intel procs as Expensive, with slightly better performance at stock (also OC's well, so a free upgrade)(C2D/C2Q series), and the I7's are VERY EXPENSIVE. Black edition CPU's from AMD also OC well (but need a very good aftermarket cooler).

ssguy24

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
A very quick review of how the flagship AMD 955 competes against an intel i7 920 can be had by reading the newest article posted on Toms about the AMD dragon platform pc. I would go and look at other reviewers websites, however, because the information seemed inconsistent with what I've seen on other websites. However, its a start.

G

I like your site, very good and clear, and easy on the eyes, i will read it in full later (My girlfriend wants to play LOTRO now so its off to middle earth for us) and e-mail you any comments on the e-mail of website.

Very good, very very good indeed :)

Phenom II have a place in the market, budget performance compared to i7 enthusiast performance, there are many reveiws that are online with this info, but I guess you really want to look at price/performance when comparing the two.

Ultimately, its about spending the correct amount to get the relevant performance you want for the applications/games you use.

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Ive looked it over, and it is very very well designed, super easy to get into, no bullshit, just seems a little intel biased, for your budget builds ide put in an AMD build with a Phenom II platform, refer to the article about the new dragon platform. And just go through and explain why stuff is what it is a little more, then that site would be perfect for new builders, just gotta put it out there!

evankim390

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate them.

I looked back and did notice that I had a slight Intel bias - I'll try to be more fair. I think my CPU section probably needs the most balancing.

I'm actually going to set up a blog eventually (it's difficult integrating it without any PHP) and one of my first articles will investigate the whole Intel vs. AMD situation.