Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows & Nvidia Control Panel cannot recognize array created in BIOS

Last response: in Storage
March 15, 2011 8:03:13 PM

My mother board is an EVGA 680i SLI. The OS is win 7 ultimate. I have one RAID array that works fine but I am trying to create a second with two new WD Raptor drives. In the BIOS I mark the new drives to enable raid and using the F10 command create the array. Now I show two healthy arrays, the old one and the new in the BIOS. However the new array does not show up in windows. In device manager I show one raid controller and 3 SATA controllers. The first SATA controller indicates that it has a one TB drive connected to port 0 and a second to port 1. These drives are running in a raid 0 configuration and that array works normally. The second SATA controller indicates it has a 300GB raptor attached to port 0 and a second to port 1. This is the new array that will not show up in the nvidia control panel or in storage manager. It also does not show up in device manager under the disk drive tab but the working array shows up fine along with the external drive attached to the third SATA controller. The third SATA controller has an external CMS 500 GB drive on port 0 that at present has the system on it and a BLURay disk attached to port 1.

Maybe the MB won't support 2 different raid arrays although I can find others that appear to be running 2 or more in various forums. Maybe the fact that I am running the OS on an external drive has something to do with it?? This is driving me insane!

Any help advice will be greatly appreciated.
March 23, 2011 9:55:23 PM

I am have the exact same issue with a Gigabyte Nvidia 5 Series board. Motherboard sees the new array, the OS and Media Storage controller don't in Windows 7 Ultimate. Anyone have any advice on this issue?
m
l

Best solution

March 24, 2011 1:14:29 AM

The answer is... Uninstall the RAID driver and reboot. Log in, open Disk Management and it should prompt you to create the drive.
Related resources
March 24, 2011 1:41:19 PM

I assume when you reboot windows reinstalls the drivers and finds both arrays but what happens to the original array in this case? Did you try this fix? If so what happens to the original working array? How did you come across the solution? If you can confirm the original array is intact and working after reboot I will give it a try. BTW you are the first to offer a solution, thanks for that.
m
l
March 24, 2011 2:09:10 PM

I have tried the fix on my Gigabyte board and it worked w/o issue. I now have 1 array of 2 x 160GB striped and the new 2nd array of 3 x 250GB striped. Nuthing happens to the original array because windows doesn't do the uninstall until it reboots. As it reboots it reinstalls the RAID driver and the driver will then see the second array. You are very welcome. Your post was the only one that I was able to find that matches the issue. But, I am all set now. Let me know how it goes.
m
l
March 26, 2011 5:17:03 PM

I want to thank you blusls for coming up with the answer to my question. I am all up and running. Thanks again.
m
l
March 26, 2011 5:17:28 PM

Best answer selected by GrumpyTechie.
m
l
!