Sign in with
Your question

Intel i7 870 with Tripple channel DDR3 @ 1333 mhz

Last response: in CPUs
September 28, 2009 5:00:38 AM

Based on what the infos and reviews i read, it left me asking and i think many would like to know.

Setting aside the overclocking. Would there be a performance increase if a TRIPLE channel DDR3 @ 1333 mhz RAM is paired on an i7 Lynfield processor as compared to a DUAL channel DDR3 @ 1333 mhz, which these Lynfield processor supports??? Because its kinda confusing which type of RAM is best for an i7 870 processor in order to maximize its performance???
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 6:21:00 AM

Since the LGA 1156 i7's only support dual channel DDR3 memory, putting triple channel in wouldnt add anything to performance, it would just run it in dual channel mode.

Edit: Also, if your considering getting the i7 870 I would advise against it. If I had the money I would just get a i7 920 and overclock it then spend the rest on a beast video card.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2009 6:39:02 AM

Just to clarify the terminology - it's the system that is dual- or tri-channel, not the memory. The number of memory channels is a feature of the memory controller, whether it's on the CPU die (like the Nehalems) or in the chipset.

Memory is often sold in kits of 2's or 3's, but it's just ordinary memory. There's no difference between memory solid in pairs vs. that sold in triplets, assuming it has the same specs and is from the same manufacturer.

There are folks who will tell you that buying the right kits of 2 or 3 is better because the pairs or triplets are "matched", but that, in my very humble opinion, is of no real consequence compared to getting memory with the specs you want in the first place.
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2009 8:42:21 AM

bige420 said:
Since the LGA 1156 i7's only support dual channel DDR3 memory, putting triple channel in wouldnt add anything to performance, it would just run it in dual channel mode.

Edit: Also, if your considering getting the i7 870 I would advise against it. If I had the money I would just get a i7 920 and overclock it then spend the rest on a beast video card.

The i7 870 is very expensive and if u wanted this id just get the i920 as above posted, however the i860 is almost half the price and runs at 2.8 ghz

i860 + good motherbaord = around £340
i920 + good motherbaord = around £390
i870 + good motherbaord = around £550

and the difference between the i860 and i870 is 0.13 Ghz lol

so get an i860 or i920, the major advantage with the i920 will be tri channel ram which wont make a huge differnce but still is a lil faster, and also full speed 16X slots for SLI

i know the DO i920 can happly get 3.6-3.8 Ghz from an overclock as for the i860 im not sure but im guessing it should reach the same speeds
m
l
September 29, 2009 5:06:34 AM

Thanks a lot for the info guys! God bless ya'll :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2009 11:58:51 PM

Quote:
Intel blows my mind. Why would you offer 2 cpu's .13ghz apart?????? Makes about as much sense as putting 4 dimms slots on a triple channel X58 mobo. Makes you wonder what they are smoking over there.

They don't intentially make CPUs 0.13Ghz faster. Some just perform better than others.
It's to do with binning. If people are going to pay extra for a CPU thats a tiny bit better, they offer it.
Also when overclocked the small 0.5x multiplier difference is very useful, and higher binned parts overclock better.

But as above, I'd go with the 920 and o/c it.
m
l
!