Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
I am building a new CPU box:

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2
AMD Athlon II X4 620
2G of A-Data DDR2 800
no video card (onboard video chip)
no hard drive (usb Live!)
Thermaltake TR2-430W (connected to the MB via the first 20 pins of the ATX 12V)

when i power it up, the power supply fan spins, the cpu fan spins, and nothing else happens. i do not get any beeps, and i do not get anything on the display. i have reset the cmos; and i've tried both d-sub and dvi video connections.

any ideas? is it waiting for a non-existent HD or video card?

thanks.

Try resetting the CMOS, this will re-set the BIOS to its default values - hopefully enabling your on-board video.

Disconnect the power cord. Ground yourself. Look in the lower left-hand corner of the board. Find the CLR_CMOS (Clearing CMOS Jumper) - two pins (page 30 of the manual). Use this jumper to clear the CMOS values (e.g. date information and BIOS configurations) and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear the CMOS values, place a jumper cap on the two pins to temporarily short the two pins or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds. Connect the power cord. Push the power button. Press the <delete> while the computer is posting to access the BIOS.

If you still have no video during POST, move the video cord to the other output and try again.

Good luck!

sbarrack

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Nope :) .

I did not connect the 4-pin ATX12V, because I had no video card installed (actually no expansion cards at all). As it turns out, the 4-pin ATX12V also powers the onboard graphics chip. Plugged it in, plugged in the d-sub (dvi still did not work), and all is well.

TRENDING THREADS