Help me connect my PC to TV

96Firebird

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Here's what I've got:

PC - (E8400, 8800GT, GA-P35-DS3L (using onboard sound))
TV - Cheapo Vizio VA320M LCD (32" 1080p)

Here's what I want to do:

Hook up my PC to my TV for viewing HD movies (pretty much as a second monitor) with sound coming out of the TV speakers.

Outputs on computer:

1 x coaxial S/PDIF Out connector
1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector
1 x 3.5mm headphone out
2 x DVI out (1 in use for main monitor)
1 x S-Video out

Inputs on TV (all that are relevant):

4 x HDMI in
1 x S-Video in
1 x RGB PC (VGA?) in
1 x "PC Audio" in (3.5mm) (next to RGB PC)

So, what is the best way to do this? DVI --> VGA, but will that give me full 1080p since isn't VGA analog? Or is RGB PC (never heard of it) digital? I could do DVI --> HDMI, but then there is no audio coming through the TV. What are my options, and what is the best solution? And I'm not buying a new video card that has HDMI outputs, I'll settle for using my PC speakers for sound before doing that.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

That is the stupidest thing I've read all day. He already has an 8800gt with two dvi ports...

Listen to mouse, dvi to hdmi converter would cost you less than 5 bucks and work just fine. It is the best option and would allow full HD for the TV as well.

For sound you can just plug the s/pdif from the MB to the card and it will work fine.

96Firebird

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

It will? I was under the impression the DVI outputs on the video card would not output sound, is this not true? So I just need a cable to go from the motherboard to the video card and it'll output sound?

96Firebird

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
If I use the PC Audio input on the TV I believe I have to run the video through RGB. They are right next to each other and in the same colored box. When I get the TV this week I'll see if there are options to use custom video/sound inputs.

96Firebird

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Looks like my card doesn't have an SPDIF input on it, so I guess I'm going to have to go the VGA + 3.5mm route. I can still run 1080p through this, correct? The TV's manual says it will support 1080p via RGB (VGA), but I'd like to make sure...

The 8800 should have a spdif header, and then you could just go HDMI the entire way.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/video_cards/ZOTAC_ZT-88TES3P-FCP/ZT-88TES3P-FCP_Exhaust.jpg

Above is a pic of a Zotca 8800GT. The white spot on the lower left of the card is where the Spdif connection goes. This connects to the motherboard, and allows for audio over a DVI->HDMI connection.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/video_cards/ZOTAC_ZT-88TES3P-FCP/ZT-88TES3P-FCP_Digital_Audio.jpg

This is the cable you need; one SHOULD have come with the card...Take note: Not all soundcards/motherboards support this type of connection, in which case, you can't do this setup...

As for VGA, resolution isn't the problem, its quality. I would not go the VGA route to get 1080p, as you'll lose too much picture quality.

leon2006

Distinguished
I have an 8800GT OC 512 connected to HDTV for Blue-Ray, HD-DVD playback:

This board is more than capable for HD -DVD, Blue Ray Playback with plenty to spare. You don't need to purchase another video card.

Video Connection:

Use your second DVI output from 8800GT. DVI-HDMI Adator+ HDMI Cable. Connect to one of the HDMI Input on your TV. This will play 1080P but no audio. My 8800GT has no audio connector for SPDIF. I'm not sure about your card.

This is the best Video option connection. One cable and will play 1080P for sure.

Audio Connection:

Check your TV again for optical/coaxial Audio input. Most TV have an optical audtion input and output.
options:

1)If your TV has any of the optical or coaxial audio input connect it to your PC.

2)You can buy 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable converter to connect your 3.5mm (PC) to TV (RCA left and Right Audio).

-This is to connect to the 1X composite plus stereo (Audio) input of VA320M.
-Try the RCA Stereo Audio inputs at the rear of the VA320M. This may be assignable to digital inputs (3x HDMI) or Analog Video Inputs (2x Component YPbPr plus stereo Audio).

You need to check the TV to assign audio inputs to video input you are using.

below is the path to connection options for your TV
http://www.vizio.com/assets/0/92/440/94/120/2071aa50-c45c-438e-bf7d-4e3f8c57b9a8.pdf

96Firebird

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
gamerk316, ironically Zotac was the only manufacturer to put the SPDIF input on the 8800gt. Sadly, EVGA did not.

leon2006, I've checked on my TV and there are no options to change audio source anywhere. All I have is an SPDIF output as well. Guess I'll have to settle for VGA + 3.5mm.