Building a water cooler, what should i look for

Precision690FAN

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Ok so i want to build a water cooler but i dont know what to look for when buying the pumps, tubes, liquid ect.

So right now i just need info. please ask any questions that i may have left out.
thank you

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Usually I hit frozencpu for parts. They do have some entry level Swiftech kits that are good. Still, read the stickies as they do have quite a bit of knowlege. The Ek kits have also gotten some good reviews, and are slightly cheaper.

Precision690FAN

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Ok so i read the stickies, and now i got a good idea on how to build a water cooler.

So the story is this: i built a crazy fast computer, and was talking to my friend on what my next upgrade should be, and since the only thing i can do is just replace perfectly good parts, i decided to turn my computer to a crazy cool fast water cooling computer

as you have noticed i have never dealt with water cooling before, but from research and the stickie it seems like frozencpu is a good site to start.

so now my question is this, what is a good brand for water cooling parts you mentioned "Rasa" and "swifttech"
and what should i look for in a pump.
again thank you very much for your help

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
FrozenCPU simply has the largest selection...they are a little more pricey than other sites. There are others, which are linked in the sticky as well.

There are many good brands of parts...it just depends on what you are looking for and for which component. It also depends on your budget and your expectations revolving around your hardware and specs.

Precision690FAN

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
ok right.

I want a kit, and have a budget of $100-$175

i have a coolermaster HAF X 942 case and a Corsair 850 watt powersupply

ive noticed that in my case there might not be a place for the reservoir (maybe in the 5.25" bays) and only a 120mm radiator.
if you have any other questions please ask.
thank you

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
With that budget you are limited really to the Rasa or finding some non-traditional components for a build. I'm betting there is more room than just a 120mm, but regardless, you are going to need at least 2x120mm worth of radiator for each CPU or GPU in your loop...and less than $200 doesn't get you far except in a CPU-only loop.

You can go the route of a LCS cooler like the H70 or Kuhler 920 or similar, the XSPC Rasa RS240 kit or try to get a budget kit together...which is also possible. However, you are going to have to figure out your planning and space requirements as well as your cooling wants/needs.

Precision690FAN

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Ok is the H70 a good watercooler

or is the cooling power not very good. i also saw that corsair came out with a H80. but with the closed loop systems does it have a very good Price to power ratio? or is it one of those things where you get what you pay for.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Most LCS coolers...close loop liquid cooling systems...perform on average about as well as good to very good air coolers. Some good air coolers are rather pricey (Noctua comes to mind) but LCS coolers are good for some people, especially those who have limited space and want good cooling. Considering the cost of the average H70 (~$100) and adding in some good fans if you want the best performance (~$12 x2 or so), you start to get into the price range of the XSPC Rasa RS240 kit. However, you don't have to add extra fans...only an option.

With most LCS coolers, you will see the best performance with fans in push/pull (one on each side of the radiator, both blowing the same direction) with the coldest possible air possible. They are typically high FPI design (fins per inch) so they require good CFM + static pressure fans. Most current models are fairly durable...older models like the H50 were prone to some leaking and pump failures in some cases.

Precision690FAN

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Alright, i just looked on corsairs website and looked into the H70 or H80 which is $100-$109. but would you recommend the XSPC Rasa RS240 kit which is only $20 more. and if i go with the XSPC Rasa RS240 will i need tubeing and other stuff, which im fine with.
again thank you for you help

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can never get too much information...my recommendation would be to continue to read up as much as possible in the meantime to help understand what all is involved. Watercooling isn't difficult, there are a lot of components to consider once you get the basic concepts.