BalisongAddict

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I'm building a new rig and plan on overclocking my 2600k to around 4.4 ghz (depends how good of a 2600k I get). So, should I save $50 and get the popular Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or is the Thermalright Silver Arrow so much better that it's worth the extra $50?

Get a 2500K. It performs on par with the 2600K in gaming (assuming that's what you're building for?) and you can save an easy $100.
The 212+ should be fine. Anyway, unless you have a couple of fantastic GPUS, an extra 100 mhz (which is doubtful but slightly possible with the Arrow) will make zero difference.

While most games see no benefit from hyperthreading, it's incorrect to say no games make a difference. I can confirm that turning on HT improves Resident Evil by 10% with hyperthreading. I also found Metro 2033 improved by about the same.

However, no other games I have showed improvement.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

I just bought a Hyper 212+ for $25 at my local Fry's here in Texas. That's cheaper than most places. Newegg raised their price on this model to $50. I don't understand that, but I think it must be a result of all the good reviews that the 2121+ got and newegg thought that they could just make some more money while the sun shined on them and this cooler. They seem to be in short supply at other stores and the prices mostly run from $30 to $40 other places, so the $25 at Fry's is a bargain. MicroCenter's have them for $30 if you can get them. Micro Center also has the i5 2500K for $180 which is a great price.

I read a lot of reviews of heat sinks and coolers before I bought the 212+ There are some coolers that are "better" for more high end gaming, but I don't do that. Save the $50 on the Silver Arrow and put it toward some more RAM.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Balisong, I don't know if you're "talking" to me, but I've never overclocked before. This will be my first time and I will take it easy and incrementally. I'll see what the new software will let me do easily. Probably around 4.0 to start, see how it goes and then maybe a little higher if it's safe, easy and reliable. I'm big on reliability, stability and ease of use.