Sign in with
Your question

Asus Striker Extreme bios problem

Last response: in Motherboards
December 21, 2009 3:49:14 AM

I have a Striker Extreme motherboard with x6800 Cpu. The system is about 4 years old and has not been used a lot.
After an extended shutdown period the computer would not boot. The bios would freeze at the ASUS Screen. After rebooting several times I managed to get to the bios configuration screen. All the parameters were changed to default.
The values were reinstalled and the box booted up. The system now has an intermittent problem of changing the boot drive from the Raid pair to the data drive. Go in to bios and specify the raid pair as the boot disk ,save and reboot and everything works fine. The system has also rebooted from Windows Vista and had this problem reappear in bios.

I have no idea how this value is changing. My first thought is that the CMOS battery is weak or an intermittent power supply problem. I checked all the cables and found no issues there. Any help is sure appreciated.

Tig
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2009 12:30:09 PM

I'd begin by replacing the CMOS Battery its a standard CR2032 very common battery.
December 23, 2009 5:08:57 PM

I checked the CMOS battery and the voltage read 3.024Vs. Based on that I am not sure a new battery will solve the problem but I put a new one in anyway. The box started right up and with the input of the correct parameters seems to be running. The test will come after letting it sit for a while.

The next step is to check the power supply voltages.
a b V Motherboard
December 23, 2009 8:14:37 PM

I cannot see why the time it was idle would affect the power supply itself, it would most definitely affect the CMOS battery, but its possible the P/S could be bad as well, post how it goes?
!