Sign in with
Your question

Dual PCI and on-board graphics?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 21, 2009 9:11:15 AM

First of all, I'll give you some specs:
Motherboard: MSI MS-7005
Graphics: XFX Nvidia Geforce FX 5200

I would like to know if it is possible to use both the onboard vga device and my video card with this motherboard. Anyone has experience with this?

Thanks!
(By the way, I'm new here, so please correct me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum...)
December 21, 2009 9:23:27 AM

Nope. Not possible. At least with your old hardware. =)
December 21, 2009 12:22:54 PM

Where I work we setup several of our coders with multi-monitor setups. While some of them have video cards with multiple outputs, others rely on the onboard video for one monitor and an add-on video card for the second monitor.

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work for you. If you have a need for a dual monitor setup, that would be a cheap way of going about it. Somewhere in the motherboard's BIOS I assume you have the option to specify which device is the primary video output device. Windows should detect the card and once you install the driver you should be good to go.

That's a very low-end card so I'm not really sure what you're hoping to gain with this.
Related resources
December 24, 2009 1:05:33 PM

Yeah, I also thought it should have been possible. But I can't seem to find any option in my BIOS setup to set the onboard VGA as the primary video device... So I guess there is no support. Was just wondering if anybody had experience doing this :) 

It is indeed a very low-end card. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money. :p  So I thought this would be a cheap solution for a simple dual monitor setup, as I don't recquire anything better. I was going to use it to monitor a SSH connection. No advanced graphics over there :p 
December 24, 2009 1:18:54 PM

Well, it doesn't truly matter which is primary and which is secondary... Windows should output to both monitors... before your PC boots only one screen (the primary one... whichever one that may be) will have video output. Once in Windows, the display properties will allow you to set them any way you like. I still say this is doable.

December 24, 2009 5:05:31 PM

Well, when my PC boots, it detects my graphics card, which is an AGP card, perfectly and indeed uses only that screen. Then, when Windows has booted, still the onboard VGA port is not detected. I think the BIOS doesn't even bother starting that device.
December 24, 2009 6:51:44 PM

Well, that was certainly unexpected. I've never heard of a case (until now) where a device on a motherboard was automatically disabled as a result of installing another component... I've heard of conflicts sure... but just disabling outright? That's a new one on me.

So are you saying that the onboard video card is no longer listed in the Windows device manager? If it appears there, you may just need to extend your display to the secondary monitor being driven by your onboard graphics.
!