Advice on new ASUS mb

Big D

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I have a small home network. My primary computer is now 6 years old and is aging. My other computers are more recent and operate on Windows 7.

Looking for recommendations for ASUS mb's. I don't need state of the art or absolute rocket performance. I will use it for email, surfing, power points, spreadsheets and light graphic editing. Will use low-end graphics card.

Criteria:

ATX based
Will use Antec Smartpower or other modular p/s
2 to 3 ghz 64 bit CPU
Capable of 8 gb ram
Will use low end graphics card
Like integral LAN
6+ USB 2.0
SATA Drives -- 2 harddrives, dvd writer and cd writer

Music is not important to me.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

For amd, I recommend the asus M4A785T-M with the AMD propus 620 cpu for around $185 (newegg.com). This board uses ddr3; get some corsair xms3 1600 2x2gb to start with; it's about $95 at newegg. If you prefer Intel, the choices are more limited for asus; I recommend the hdmi motherboards as they come with so many features for no extra $$, and the onboard video may be all you need. Only one asus hdmi board (P5G43T-M) was in stock at newegg using ddr3, and had 2 memory slots instead of 4. It was about the same price as the amd. The Intel e5200 is all the cpu you need, and it runs around $65 last time I checked. Most of the hdmi boards are micro-atx format, which fit almost any case. DDR3 costs a little more now, but will eventually cost less than ddr2 and perform better.