Sign in with
Your question

Issue with cooling SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2009 7:38:47 PM

I am getting some very hot conditions with my cards. They are Dual VGA e-GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked 778MHz cards. they came with the pre-attached fans straight from the manufacture. They are getting hot enough on a few games I run to actually shut down the monitor till they cool. currently I have a house fan blowing in a grate on the side on to the cards and I get no shut down which makes me really believe it is heat.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for cooling them. I have a Gigbyte watercooled case. Would it be better to take the manufacture fans off and water cool them, if that is possible without damaging them, or would it be better to try and rig up some fan that blows directly on them. I would like everything to stay in the case for looks. If anyone has any ideas I would be most thankful.

More about : issue cooling sli

a c 271 U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 7:41:04 PM

How about a pair of Zalman's?
July 17, 2009 8:02:07 PM

so I should just go with replacing the manufactures fans with zalman's or drop the fans and hook it up to the water system?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 17, 2009 8:10:20 PM

Your best bet if you have a watercooled system is to watercool the cards. Problem being is you might not have a large enouhgh radiator to cool both gpu's and the cpu.
July 17, 2009 8:26:43 PM

chef7734 said:
Your best bet if you have a watercooled system is to watercool the cards. Problem being is you might not have a large enouhgh radiator to cool both gpu's and the cpu.

My case is the Gigabyte 3D Mercury Pro Case. Says it cycles 400l/hour. Not sure the total capacity. But it comes with 3 tube hook ups preinstalled.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 10:15:39 PM

For what you would pay for a watercooling system, consider selling the pair of 9800 GTX+ and get a GTX 275 that you can overclock, will stay cool enough to prevent worries, and you'd save on the electric bill.
July 18, 2009 4:03:42 AM

Get the EVGA Precision 1.71 graphic card interface tweak software. You can set your fan speed to run faster to keep cards cooler and also OC cards speed if you wish.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/EVGA-Precision-1.7.1-downlo...

Try this first before changing fans on cards, well be cheaper since it is free. :wahoo: 
!