Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about the best video card for 305w PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 17, 2009 8:03:45 PM

I am looking to buy an upgrade for my computer. I have a PCIE slot and a 305w power supply (Dell computer). I prefer a video card that draws power directly from the PCIE slot, rather than have to connect a separate power cord since I'm not sure my computer has that ability. I am basically looking for something that can play Fallout 3. Can you all help me? I believe I have a Pentium III.

I was interested in this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9254585&s...

But it says it requires a 400w PSU. I have read around, and it seems like some think it would work on the Dell 305w PSU unit, but then others say not to risk it. There have really been no modifications made to the computer itself, meaning it just basically is running what came with the prebuilt system (no internal additions).

I would really appreciate any help you all can provide. I have checked previous threads from this site, but a lot of them have links to items that are no longer active on newegg, so I'm still left unsure what to do.

Thank you!
July 17, 2009 8:07:57 PM

Also, I'm not sure it matters, but I have 1gb memory, and a cable modem + router hooked up. I don't think I use much power with my current components, but again, I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to these things.
July 17, 2009 8:11:12 PM

Make that a Pentium 4 instead of 3. Sorry.
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 8:11:47 PM

that little dell PSU gives out over 305w, the rating on it is continuous power not peak.

most manufactures ask for more power on their cards to cover up for PSU that fail to actually deliver their stated watts, the 4650 needs no where near 400w, it can even run on a decent 275w PSU.

don't ever buy PC parts from best buy, they are a rip-off. Get a 4670 512mb from newegg or tigerdirect like this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 8:12:40 PM

what dell do you have?
a c 165 U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 8:13:22 PM

+1 ct1615.
July 17, 2009 8:48:37 PM

ct1615 said:
what dell do you have?


It's an e510.

Thank you for helping me!
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 9:07:01 PM

ct, what do you feed the gerbils ?
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 9:10:41 PM

+1 for the 4670.

Gerbils ? That's a polecat isn't it, or at least a polecat ferret cross ?

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 9:15:30 PM

Check his sig
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 9:21:37 PM

delluser1 said:
ct, what do you feed the gerbils ?



...tacos...gives them a ....boost.... ;) 
July 17, 2009 9:25:36 PM

ct1615, do you still recommend the video card that you linked earlier? If you believe, from everything I've told you, that it will run just fine on my system, I will go ahead and purchase it. I have never purchased from newegg before because I like being able to return items directly to a store if I have problems, but I know lots of others use the site. So, if you think the card will work, I will go ahead and purchase it.

Thank you for helping someone much less knowledgeable than yourself :) 

Thanks to everyone else that also gave their opinion!
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 9:31:38 PM

Jasson said:
ct1615, do you still recommend the video card that you linked earlier? If you believe, from everything I've told you, that it will run just fine on my system, I will go ahead and purchase it. I have never purchased from newegg before because I like being able to return items directly to a store if I have problems, but I know lots of others use the site. So, if you think the card will work, I will go ahead and purchase it.

Thank you for helping someone much less knowledgeable than yourself :) 

Thanks to everyone else that also gave their opinion!


yea your good to go on the 4670, your motherboard has a PCI-E x16 slot and enough power for it

newegg has an excellent return policy but if you want, you can send me $120 and Ill' buy you the exact same card for $65 and keep the extra $55...that way both of us will be happy! :na: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 18, 2009 9:56:18 AM

delluser1 said:
Check his sig



Ah i see now :lol: 

Mactronix
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2009 3:20:20 PM

Hello,
i am using the power color 4670 1gb with an overclocked phenom 720 BE using a 350w power supply very stable
my old pentium 3 was only drawing 17 w something like that
so i think it would be enough
however i don't think that the pentium III motherboard would have a PCIE slot, it would be and AGP slot
check again
Edit: didn't noitice that u said pentium 4 sorry :D 
July 18, 2009 6:46:53 PM

That's a complete rip-off card btw, you can get a gts250 for that which completely pwns that cad. Or you can get a 4850 and save 20 bucks, but your psu can't take that. I'd value that card at $50.

No one can tell you if a '305w' psu can handle blah blah blah components, anyone who say it can is probably just guessing. It's mostly your fault for the inaccurate answers, because you haven't provided adequate information on the capabilities of your psu, which results in these inaccurate answers. Let us know the amps on different rails, frequency of your P4, and we'll give you a very close answer :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2009 7:18:16 PM

computabug said:
That's a complete rip-off card btw, you can get a gts250 for that which completely pwns that cad. Or you can get a 4850 and save 20 bucks, but your psu can't take that. I'd value that card at $50.

No one can tell you if a '305w' psu can handle blah blah blah components, anyone who say it can is probably just guessing. It's mostly your fault for the inaccurate answers, because you haven't provided adequate information on the capabilities of your psu, which results in these inaccurate answers. Let us know the amps on different rails, frequency of your P4, and we'll give you a very close answer :) 

The card is a definite ripoff at BB.
As for not being able to tell him what the 305w can handle, there are those of us who know the amperage rating and have used and tested the 305 with various components, who do know what it is capable of.
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 18, 2009 7:50:34 PM

computabug said:
That's a complete rip-off card btw, you can get a gts250 for that which completely pwns that cad. Or you can get a 4850 and save 20 bucks, but your psu can't take that. I'd value that card at $50.

No one can tell you if a '305w' psu can handle blah blah blah components, anyone who say it can is probably just guessing. It's mostly your fault for the inaccurate answers, because you haven't provided adequate information on the capabilities of your psu, which results in these inaccurate answers. Let us know the amps on different rails, frequency of your P4, and we'll give you a very close answer :) 



You just demonstrated that you yourself are not worthy of comment on the issue, if you knew the first thing about PSU's/GPU's and how the power is distributed around the various components of a PC you would realise how erroneous your second statement was.

I like this bit "Let us know the amps on different rails, frequency of your P4, and we'll give you a very close answer :) " . If you don't mind i will fill in the bit you omitted.
"Let us know the amps on different rails, frequency of your P4, and we'll( put all the info into a power supply calculator and make it look like I/we (hell are "we" talking in the third person :??:  ) Know whats what and give you a very close answer :) " [:mousemonkey:5]

Mactronix



July 18, 2009 10:51:08 PM

mactronix said:
You just demonstrated that you yourself are not worthy of comment on the issue, if you knew the first thing about PSU's/GPU's and how the power is distributed around the various components of a PC you would realise how erroneous your second statement was.

I like this bit "Let us know the amps on different rails, frequency of your P4, and we'll give you a very close answer :) " . If you don't mind i will fill in the bit you omitted.
"Let us know the amps on different rails, frequency of your P4, and we'll( put all the info into a power supply calculator and make it look like I/we (hell are "we" talking in the third person :??:  ) Know whats what and give you a very close answer :) " [:mousemonkey:5]

Mactronix

wtf I don't understand your point. I was asking for the ampage of his rails and this ass bums in and talks this *** to me. wtf who the hell uses a power supply calc anyways? Those are very difficult to keep updated. [a moment ago I had a slew of offensive vulgar words regarding you and your family, but I decided to replace it with this]

:gun: 







:finger:




:welcome: 
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 18, 2009 11:00:02 PM

computabug said:
wtf I don't understand your point. I was asking for the ampage of his rails and this ass bums in and talks this *** to me. wtf who the hell uses a power supply calc anyways? Those are very difficult to keep updated. [a moment ago I had a slew of offensive vulgar words regarding you and your family, but I decided to replace it with this]



His point, as was Dellusers, as was coozies, as is mine; several of us own (have owned) or are very familiar with this Dell model PSU. It has plenty of amps on the 12v rail and peaks above 305w (as stated previously if you ever took time to read). So by you posting a bunch of nonsense without taking the time to research the PSU or read people's posts, makes you the village idiot of the forum...as does your little hissy fit towards mactronix.

By the way, this is me waving bye to you as you go back into your mother's basement cursing me out for making you look like a complete fool. :hello: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 19, 2009 6:53:38 AM

Nicely put

Mactronix ;) 
July 19, 2009 4:46:02 PM

ct1615 said:
His point, as was Dellusers, as was coozies, as is mine; several of us own (have owned) or are very familiar with this Dell model PSU. It has plenty of amps on the 12v rail and peaks above 305w (as stated previously if you ever took time to read).

Huh. My mistake and my apologies to Mactronix then :ange: 

So is there one of these '305w' psu's in every low end dell, Inspiron and lower or something? I've never owned a Dell (or any OEM for that matter) before, been building computers myself all my life.
July 19, 2009 4:48:36 PM

a 9800GT will run on Dell's PSU. SO anything drawing = or less at load should be fine. And they have molex/pci-e adapters.

If you don't want to buy a card with a 6pin you can get a 9600gt from evga that runs off slot power.

It's fairly ugly but will perform great :) 

Newegg of course.
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 19, 2009 5:22:31 PM

computabug said:
Huh. My mistake and my apologies to Mactronix then :ange: 

So is there one of these '305w' psu's in every low end dell, Inspiron and lower or something? I've never owned a Dell (or any OEM for that matter) before, been building computers myself all my life.



http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263947-28-engine-coul...

August 2, 2009 1:42:30 AM

Hey guys, I have another question.

I bought the 4670 card and installed it on the system. It had been running fine, but over the past few days, while on the desktop, the monitor screen would go completely green; the only way to get out of this would be to restart the system. We've updated the drivers, and done a few other driver updates, but I'm not sure if that will help or not. The problem hasn't occurred while playing games, so I'm not sure if it is a problem with the video card or not.

Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this? We had never seen this sort of problem before installing the new card.

Thanks!
a c 235 U Graphics card
August 2, 2009 2:05:03 AM

does it happen while you are working on the computer or when it goes idle?
August 11, 2009 3:17:27 AM

I hadn't replied for a little while, since I closed some programs (like the Catalyst Control Center) and hadn't had the problem, so I assumed it was gone, but it came back again.

It seems to only happen when the computer is just at the desktop, when I'm not really doing much on it. It doesn't happen when I run programs, at least not yet. It doesn't happen all that often, maybe three times in a few weeks. But it's something new, so I'm not sure what can be causing it.

You don't think it would have anything to do with using the 400w card on the 305w computer, do you?
!