Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 stock with xigmatek dark knight

Last response: in Overclocking
June 27, 2011 2:00:46 AM

i7 920 (stock speed) on asus p6t deluxe v2.
antec 1200 case
xigmatek dark knight
artic silver #5
6gb of ocz ram.

I have had my pc for some time now and i have decided that i wanted to overclock. My idle temps are mid 40's and load at 70, i have reapplied/cleaned and resecured the heatsink several times. Why are my temps so high, with this cooler?
a c 241 K Overclocking
June 28, 2011 7:36:39 AM

are you sure you apply thermal paste is correct and lock the heatsink is really pressing Processor ..?
other way you can replace the fan with high RPM and add fan for exhaust inback casing minimal 120mm

guide how to apply thermal paste properly:
m
l
Related resources
a c 121 K Overclocking
June 28, 2011 6:38:34 PM

1) Is your ambient temperature high?

2) Is your graphics card dumping heat into the case?

3) The usual mistake is to apply too much thermal grease, making it act as an insulator. It is hard to use too little.

4) AS5 takes a number of power down heat/cool cycles to reach maximum effectiveness. On the order of 200 as I recall.
m
l
July 3, 2011 3:19:39 AM

Ambient temps are 25c ~75F. Tested my system with and without the case, so i would assume this would rule out possible issues with graphics cards. I have tested several methods for applying thermal paste. Thin, almost transparent over entire processor using razor blade, pea/rice size/small snake in the center of the processor and all of them had very similar temps. The fan is working and it is a 120mm xigmatek fan.

I contacted intel my intel rep and he sent me a new HSF assembly to rule out issues with the xigmatek. I am getting ~46C idle and 75 after a minute running prime95 with processor at 2.8ghz (setting ram timings slightly overclocks processor).
m
l
a c 121 K Overclocking
July 3, 2011 5:50:40 PM

I don't think your temps are that much out of line. The 920 uses 45nm technology which is hotter than the current 32nm of sandy bridge.
Possibly, your 920 chip might run a tad hot; there will be some manufacturing sample differences.

So it runs hot under stress test. Does it matter?
No, the cpu will downclock itself for protection if necessary.

When testing with prime 95, check the multiplier using CPU-Z. If the multiplier stays at max, you are ok.
m
l
!