Grumbling 2TB WD My Book External Hard Disk

zzxantrax07

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
i have a Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB external hard disk. i bought it march 12, 2011.

my hard disk grumble periodically. mostly when accesing files. it grumbles like a grumbling stomach, but it has no sound. the hard disk is silent.

i can feel the grumble when touching the sides of the hard disk. is it normal?

i never dropped it or anything that will damage the drive.

thanx.

Solution
As to the extended self-test, it's up to you. If I were at your location, I'd just feel the drive and see if it's normal vibration or excessive.

Maybe you could try another external drive / go to a friend's house and feel how much it rumbles when it's seeking? I can't give you a basis of comparison from here (holds seeking hard drive up to screen).
Some small vibration is normal when the drive is "seeking," moving the read heads from their previous position to where the requested data is. But it's pretty small in a healthy drive.

You can download diagnostics from the manufacturer and run them if you suspect that the drive is damaged.

zzxantrax07

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
i think it's the actuator arm. i can feel the grumbling when opening a folder with many folders inside.

should i do extended self-test? i did a short self-test, and it passed.

i'm copying 15k images (15.5gb). it's grumbling continuously.

thanx for the reply.

As to the extended self-test, it's up to you. If I were at your location, I'd just feel the drive and see if it's normal vibration or excessive.

Maybe you could try another external drive / go to a friend's house and feel how much it rumbles when it's seeking? I can't give you a basis of comparison from here (holds seeking hard drive up to screen).

Solution

zzxantrax07

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
thank you sir. i'll try to look at my friends' portable hdds.

i can't return it because it was bought by my uncle from another country.

and i have 2 160gb WD internal hdds, they're 3 yrs old and still running. i can hear noises (and other spinning & actuator moving noises) to the drives but they still work fine.