Questions and Things to Look for When Buying A Motherboard

Computer n00b

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I need some help. I've finally decided to build my first computer and I am shopping for motherboards. I have an ATX only case but beyond that I don't really know what to look out for when buying a motherboard. I am going to use the motherboard for gaming and I want it to have crossfire/sli support but everything is still confusing so I have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer.

1. What is the difference between PCI Express 1,2,3...etc. Does it affect gameplay and which do you recommend?

2. AMD or Intel? I was going to get and AMD chip since they're cheaper but now I'm leaning more towards just getting the intel i5 so later i could just upgrade to the top of the line, intel i7.

3. What do the subnumbers (for example, PCI Express 2.0 x16) mean. What's the difference between PCI Express 2.0 X8 and X16 and do they still fit the same components physically.

4. What do you recommend a motherboard should have for a gaming PC?

Any product recommendations or suggestions are appreciated as I am quite lost in the world of building computers.

-Computer n00b

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I did as best i can but here answers for your questions.

1. Its basically newer versions of PCI as far as i can tell and they have a higher bandwidth although not exactly sure.

2. Intel i5 lies on Intels mainstream socket and doesn't support intels top of the line processors and never will, if you want upgrade you will have to upgrade your entire comp. I5's platorm supports 2 of intels midrange cpus and wont have high ends on it. therefore you might as well go amd :) or get the high end 1366 socket which will be more expensive.

3. Physically they are the same but as far as i know (not sure) they have different bandwidths.

4.This is is to vague, i can type a 5 page essay for this lol.

I recommend you get the 1 year newegg extended warranty for $16.95. Biostar charges about a $30 handling fee to return the board. Newegg will be around forever, and they will give you more options than biostar if the board dies. I use biostar, and have had no problems with it.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

I know that is an awful lot of information above in the quoted section (my answers are below your questions), but truly picking a board depends on need an budget. You said gaming, so that narrows it down a bit, but budget will help further. It will help us choose a CPU and graphics card setup that will help us choose the board as well.

Computer n00b

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

Budgets around 500$ but it's more of a vague guild line, I have no problem going a 100-150 above if it means I get something I can keep my computer in use for a while.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Is that $500 for the whole setup (minus the ATX case you already have)? You will need the CPU, motherboard, optical drive, hard drive, RAM, power supply, correct?

I just want to make sure we have the right budget to work with.

What games are you looking to play? That also may help in determining what to suggest.

Computer n00b

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009

correct and the games I'm looking to play are mostly games like CIV 4 (I'm an big fan of sim and strategy games but usually I have to turn the graphics way low on my old computer so I'm hoping I can at least have them on medium without bad lag), I don't need the monster games like Crysis or Farcry 2 (I'd just get them on Xbox 360 anyway) and yes, thats ~$500 for everything but the case (If ur wondering the case is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
) Thanks for the suggestions so far and please give me some ideas for the motherboard, it's a very confusing, hardware based, world out there.

-Computer n00b

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Ok...first thing...

Don't buy that graphics card from Best Buy - it's way overpriced. You could get that same item for well below $150. I'd also go for a brand that has a good warranty - EVGA, XFX, etc

Second...I'd go with a different brand of motherboard - Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA - if it were my choice

Computer n00b

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Alright thanks for telling me, I found it on newegg for way less. And I found this ASUS mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131405

and this XFX graphics card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150439&cm_re=NVIDIA_GeForce_GTS250-_-14-150-439-_-Product

and this PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

(I realize it would be overbudget but since my laptop was about 800$ I feel having a desktop in the same price range is fine)

do you see anything wrong with it. BTW whats north/south bridge mean? All suggestions and answers appreciated.

- Computer n00b

KodaB

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
If you are looking for a gaming motherboard, first of all things you need to look at is quality of product, you don't want it to die on you after 30 days of use. Look out for high system temps, manufacturing materials, no good HSF's.

Second, u may need your board to last for some time, so you'd wanna buy latest chipset which support SLI or CrossfireX or bot, and at least two PCI-E slots (u might need to upgrade to two GPUs).

Third if you are an enthusiast and u want top of the notch hardware u will certainly wanna look at added board functionality, such as quick OC buttons, V-check points, low temp and energy designs, easy BIOS flashing features and other added extras.

The Intel or AMD question... I'm always on the side of the underdog, but I can't deny the success Intel had lately. If you want to go overkill and futureproof your PC I7 should be your choice. If you just want something that meets your current demands, and is cheap as hell AMD is your best friend.