Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Realtek sound card failure

Last response: in Components
September 28, 2009 3:53:44 PM

Hi,

This is regarding some trouble I am having with my Realtek sound card.

I have a Realtek 5.1 compatible soundcard in-built on my Intel DG31PR motherboard.
Driver Version is 5.10.0.5436.
Codec is ALC888

The problem: I am not receiving any audio output.

My layman's assessment of things is that some sort of output jack on my front panel is being detected when there isn't any which is blocking\over-riding the back panel output (just my observation on possible cause). The Realtek Audio manager seems to indicate that there is some sort of jack is plugged in to the front panel. Just to clarify - no pop up or anything came, I just started checking the manager when i stopped getting output. (screen shot attached.)

To assist your analysis, these are things that I have checked \ tried:

Things I have checked:
That speakers (creative 2.1 sbs a300) are powered on.
That speakers are working (tried it with another device).
That the audio device is default and enabled.
Device manager does not indicate any driver /conflict issues.
That speaker volume, system volume (both master and individual) and music player volume (have tried various applications/games, etc) are not on mute.

Things that I have tried:
Have tried disabling enabling drivers.
Have tried uninstalling and re-installing drivers.
Have unplugged cable to front panel - no change. put it back in - no change.
Tried plugging in speakers to front panel. no output. continues to indicate front panel out
Tried 4CH output with front panel as one output and back panel as the other output.

Also: No audio codecs\dx upgrade etc. were installed immediately prior to the sound not working.

Looking forward for your advice on what to do next.
September 28, 2009 5:56:24 PM

Front panel shorted out, sometime, probably fried your sound card.
....Not very likely though.

try disabling the audio from the bios device manager, run windows and turn it off again, then re-enable the audio from in bios.

Otherwise try "restore defaults" in windows, and in bios, and if all else fails, refer to the manual on how to clear all bios settings by removing the battery, switching a jumper and back, putting battery back, and trying everything again. Solved my similar problem a few years back.

Good luck,
--
Xbeater

EDIT: Reinstall Drivers or download newer ones off the internet, or if you have the newest drivers, find older ones.

Did you actually install the chipset drivers yet? might help.
Score

Best solution

October 12, 2009 11:10:18 PM

Hey there,
I have an issue almost exactly the same as yours. I have an ASUS p5ql-e with a realtek 1200. I've had this board running everyday for darn near a year now. One day I came back from work logged on and there was no sound. I've done everything you have so far. I've also installed a fresh copy of vista on a spare HDD and installed known good drivers that have worked before on this board. That did nothing as well. As far as I can tell the software is outputting the sound from whatever program is sending it, windows sees it as you can see the output levels rise and fall with music games etc... So somewhere after the software processes the sound its not making it to the audio ports. I wish that I had some form of external digital device to see if the coax and optical ports are dead as well. At this point if the military let me have hair I'd be pulling it out. I find it a bit odd that a mobo onboard sound card would just stop working w/o some form of driver conflict or hardware not being recognized. I've been using a pair of good headphones to test the sound. I've gone so far as to disable sound completely in the bios load windows, re-enable sound in bios then load in again, nothing. I've unplugged the front panel audio completely still nothing from the back. I'm very baffled at this point if there is anyone out there that knows how to get a realtek 1200 to start pumping out sound again I would love to know how. Thanx
Related resources
October 15, 2009 7:02:59 AM

not sure why I'm the answer to this when all I did was pose another question but ok? lol
Score
March 21, 2010 5:15:23 AM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
Front panel shorted out, sometime, probably fried your sound card.
....Not very likely though.

try disabling the audio from the bios device manager, run windows and turn it off again, then re-enable the audio from in bios.

Otherwise try "restore defaults" in windows, and in bios, and if all else fails, refer to the manual on how to clear all bios settings by removing the battery, switching a jumper and back, putting battery back, and trying everything again. Solved my similar problem a few years back.

Good luck,
--
Xbeater

EDIT: Reinstall Drivers or download newer ones off the internet, or if you have the newest drivers, find older ones.

Did you actually install the chipset drivers yet? might help.

While this is all happening you don't happen to have the advanced properties in the Volume Control there and upon opening them one of the microphone boosts on do you? Stupid question I know. I wouldn't ask but I had something similiar happen to me. Had jack detection off, and the microphone boost was somehow overpowering it and swapping back and forth from heaphone to rearspeaker to headphone without warning and before making a sound. And the microphone boost was in advanced under headphones (wth there I have no idea).
Score
!