Spinpoint or Black Caivar for Gaming?

I'm looking at getting a new hard drive. I currently use some crappy hitachi 7200rpm/8mb cache and it is holding my system back I think.

I'm looking at these two drives:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804 Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/198228 WD 640GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache

I will be running off of my sataii mobo, but I understand sata-III is backwards compatible. A big factor for me is how easy it is to clone my exisiting HDD to the new one I buy. I believe WD supply software via their website that allows you to clone HD's aslong as one is a WD. I can't seem to find an equivilant for samsung.

Any advice? Or is there a better drive I could get? (SSD is out of the question for my budget)
5 answers Last reply
More about spinpoint black caivar gaming
  1. Clonezilla is free and works with any drive. Both are good drives. You'll pay less for a SATA2 caviar black and it will be just as fast as a SATA3 drive.
  2. Caviar black has free HDD monitoring utility for Windows, free Acronis, and their warranty service is second to none. It also has a larger cache.

Samsung offers an obsolete FreeDOS boot HDD utility that doesn't work on most modern systems.
  3. hangfirew8 said:
    Caviar black has free HDD monitoring utility for Windows, free Acronis, and their warranty service is second to none. It also has a larger cache.

Samsung offers an obsolete FreeDOS boot HDD utility that doesn't work on most modern systems.

Just so the OP knows, that only applies to the retail versions of the drives. The OEM drives come as just the bare drive.
  4. The WD i linked is retail I think. Well, it isn't listed as OEM anyway.

Think I will just go with the WD, even though the spinpoint appears to run slightly faster.
  5. FYI I use the free Acronis from WD on all my OEM WD drivers. Same with the monitoring utility. All are available as a download from WD for use with any system having a WD somewhere on it- even hanging on a USB adapter!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Spinpoint Storage