Computer Won't post with 4 sticks of RAM

illusion856

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Alright, first off here are some system specs for my PC. (will copy and paste from newegg on some things)

- EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

- XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

- Western Digital RE3 WD5002ABYS-01B1B0 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

- 4gb (4 x 1GB) Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz RAM

- My power supply is an 850 watt OCZ

- 64 bit vista ultimate

Built this computer about 2 and 1/2 years ago or so. Around the time when the 8800GTX was about 500-525 bucks because that was the original video card I had in it, but it died recently and i replaced it.

When I originally built this PC I had some problems with some of my RAM sticks not working. 2 of them would work, two wouldn't. In the middle of trying to figure out what was causing the problem there, the issue just magically stopped happening and resolved itself.

Recently, after my video card died and I replaced it, I decided to reformat my hard drive to clear a bunch of junk off of it because I had way too much useless stuff on there. I also decided to open up my case and clean it out (don't worry I was very careful in there)

While cleaning it out, I took out the RAM sticks because they were blocking my way to get to a part of my case to get the dust out of there. All went well with the cleaning and I put everything back together with ease.

So here's my problem. When I turned the PC back on, it wouldn't post. The case would get power, case fans would start spinning, and the LCD display would show two dashes on it (didnt find anthing about this in the mobo manual) and the computer wouldn't post. Never heard any beeps or the hard drive start to turn on or anything. It basically just sits there and acts like power is only going to the case fans or something.

After fooling around with my PC, i found that I could take one stick of RAM out, and it would work. IT doesn't matter which stick I take out, and it doesn't matter what combination of memory slots I use on the motherboard. It works perfect with 3 sticks, and it will not post at all with 4 sticks.

I've tested my ram the best I can without having all four of them in at the same time, and they all pass with flying colors, so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the sticks themselves as far as I know. And like I said, i tried all different combinations of memory slots on the motherboard and they all work fine if only 3 sticks are in.

So I guess my question is does anyone know what is causing this? Is it something with the BIOS maybe or just some weird incompatibility that I've run into? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Solution
You may need to reseat all the ram again, and all your power supply connectors. You might have damaged something. Don't know what you use to clean your board, but I use perfect duster, a canned air product with solvent that evaporates quickly. But next time to be safe, I wouldn't remove anything and leave a little dust inside. It won't hurt anything. The most important items to clean are the cpu and ps fans.
You may need to reseat all the ram again, and all your power supply connectors. You might have damaged something. Don't know what you use to clean your board, but I use perfect duster, a canned air product with solvent that evaporates quickly. But next time to be safe, I wouldn't remove anything and leave a little dust inside. It won't hurt anything. The most important items to clean are the cpu and ps fans.

Solution

illusion856

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Thanks for the response. I use canned air as well, DustOFf or something I think, I didn't really discriminate on which one i bought, i just grabbed one off the shelf, hehe.

Anyhow, I did everything you said, and in the middle of that I decided to update my BIOS as well. I'm not sure why the other bios version I was using wasn't working, because I had used 4 sticks of ram with that version for almost 3 years without any problems, but as soon as I updated the BIOS everything started working again.

Really didn't think it'd be something as simple as a BIOS update or I wouldn't have posted here, lol. Next time I'll make sure I try every single thing I can think of before I come bug anyone over here. =)

Thanks again for the help.