Old Compac PC HELP!

G

Goodmorning,
I have a HP/Compaq. Had Windows Me. 40 gig hard drive, 1Ghz processor, 128MB sync Dram.
I want to get this computer working mainly just for e-mail use.
About a month ago, PC just quit working. Came up with a black screen. Saying something about not being able to find operating system.
Tried to reboot with Quick restore, recovery CD, and a backup diskette I had made. None of it works. Comes up with something about drive D, gives choices of, Retry, Abort, Fail.

I can give more information if you can ask me the proper questions, to get to the problem.

Would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!

G

Goodmorning,
I have a HP/Compaq. Had Windows Me. 40 gig hard drive, 1Ghz processor, 128MB sync Dram.
About a month ago, PC just quit working. Came up with a black screen. Saying something about not being able to find operating system.
Tried to reboot with Quick restore, recovery CD, and a backup diskette I had made. None of it works. Comes up with something about drive D, gives choices of, Retry, Abort, Fail.

I can give more information if you can ask me the proper questions, to get to the problem.

oldfart1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Goodmorning,

do you have one hard drive formatted into two? that could be why...
myself, i am going to save everything externally and start over as in re format into one single drive and then add another one, staples has them for 48 bucks so why not?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Another option is to make a linux live CD or usb flash drive and boot off of that. If your bios allows for booting off USB drive, might get around the CD drive not initializing. Puppy Linux will fit on a fairly small thumb drive (around 100 megs if you're not saving settings) If it works, might be able to recover the files you need or even just use it for your net access. I use it for a 9 year old laptop (433mhz Celeron) for net access and it works just fine.