How to Upgrade Raid 5 array with larger hard disks

Marlontee

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Hello,
How do I upgrade a HP DL380 G4 server, which has 6 x36.4GB scsi ULtra wide 320 RAID 5 with 4 300GB drive to increase size.

You can replace each drive one at a time and rebuild the array until each drive has been replaced. The drives have to be in -from factory- state to avoid problems though.

After a final reboot, you should have access to newly unallocated space. Partition, format, and done. Or use partition tools to combine the old and new.

You can replace each drive one at a time and rebuild the array until each drive has been replaced. The drives have to be in -from factory- state to avoid problems though.

After a final reboot, you should have access to newly unallocated space. Partition, format, and done. Or use partition tools to combine the old and new.

*correction. I see you are changing drive count. Your best bet by far is to back up all data to a hard drive (external) and start the raid from scratch.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think that will work. If you replace one drive, it will still need to fit into the array and hold the portion of the data assigned to it. RAID drives should all be the same size.

I'd build a new array and copy the data. If you can't have both running at the same time, back up, remove, and build the new one, then restore.

FireWire2

Distinguished

CompTIA_rep half right :)

After replaced and rebuilt with NEW lager HDDs. There is TWO solutions:

1_ Expand the existing RAID volume

Under RAID function, there is a function call expand raid volume, Use that function to expand the existing raid.

After it done use Partition Magic or similar software, add the NEW partition to the existing partition.

2_ Create a NEW RAID volume
Create a new volume with the empty (not use) space
Create a new partition
Append the new partition to existing partition

Note: Always have a backup b4 you implement ANY change!

Ah, but he is turning 6 drives into a 4 drive raid. I dont believe this will work. I am still convinced the best option is to ghost the raid onto a large hard drive (secondary to an actual full backup) then create a new raid with the new drives.

This would be quick, easy, and more secure.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Darn! I miss that :) Sorry !
Here is the solution.

Connect 4x newer, bigger HDD - you may need a new SCSI cable with more SCSI header
Change to proper ID for each of the HDD - the Ultra SCSI port can support up to 15 devices

Create a NEW raid
Move the DATA if needed
Or append the NEW volume to existing volume