Sign in with
Your question

Intel or AMD for gaming?

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2009 9:21:24 AM

People say intel CPU's are better then AMD but AMD is better for gaming, so I want to build a rig for gaming but don't know what to go with.

More about : intel amd gaming

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
June 26, 2009 11:15:40 AM

the answer depends on your budget .

AMD wins on bang per buck in every price range except the top end where you have lots to spend
June 26, 2009 12:43:11 PM

AMD is better because after the 30 fps mark human eyes cant detect any diffrences.
Related resources
June 26, 2009 12:53:06 PM

yeh but 30fps isn't good enough if you want to make those big jumps in game like most gamers do.
June 26, 2009 3:36:48 PM

Oh dear. I smell another Intel vs AMD argument ....
June 26, 2009 3:41:08 PM

I always thought the human eye cant see more then 60 FPS, not 30... but I would say AMD because of the bang of buck versus performance. Yes I7 is better for multitasking and will for dual card + huge screen setups. But really...thats a lot of cash to throw into the CPU and mother board alone.... So if your on a budget AMD wins. If you dont have a budget then intel wins
June 26, 2009 7:20:57 PM

I'm not look for an arguement just want to know what is better to spend 1000euros on a system.
June 26, 2009 7:50:16 PM

I have used Both Amd and Intel., and i looked at some benchmarks, the amd cpu's beat intel cpu's in many games, but fail against them at desktop apps and what not. so really, intel is a better overall, and amd is a bit more focused on the games.

But then again, the choice is yours, you can easily build an core i7 platform and cut the cost down to an Phenom II platform, but you might have to buy a cheaper mobo and rams to compensate.
June 26, 2009 7:55:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think intel will be the way then, because I do game, but I also design websites using photoshop CS4 and Dreamweaver CS4. and i'm into alot of movie downloading and burning so looks like intel will be better for me
June 26, 2009 8:04:18 PM

All CPU's are good. It just depends on your budget/uses.

I use AMD all my life but my new computer, i'm going to get Intel because it produces what I need.
June 26, 2009 8:23:03 PM

It makes you wonder, while Intel keeps coming out with newer processors, will AMD still be stuck back trying to compete with the old Core 2 processors?

I'm thinking an Intel i7 Core update come October during the Windows 7 release. Kinda tired of reloading my PC which I would do for a CPU, MB and RAM upgrade...

AJ
June 26, 2009 8:26:02 PM

^ the i7's in October will be the LGA1156's, which will be a lot cheaper because you lose a load of bandwidth and 20 PCIe lanes.
June 26, 2009 8:43:11 PM

If i'm not mistaken, the LGA1156 will be the i5's and the i7 using the LGA1366 would still be available as their high end processor.

AJ
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
June 26, 2009 10:32:57 PM

you ca see the quality difference between 30 and 60 fps ... but after 60 most lcd monitors wont give any improvement
anyway i7 + multiple top end gfx cards is the best most powerful gamer you can have , bu I dont know anyone with that much to spend .
so anything under $1000 [ not including monitor etc ] then DEFINITELY amd
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
June 26, 2009 11:37:51 PM

AMD on the Low End, Intel on the High end, and personal preference for the middle. Just depends on your budget and what you want. After all if you wanna stick a blu ray in there then that's less of a budget for your CPU and GPUs.
June 27, 2009 1:39:00 AM

megamanx00 said:
AMD on the Low End, Intel on the High end, and personal preference for the middle. Just depends on your budget and what you want. After all if you wanna stick a blu ray in there then that's less of a budget for your CPU and GPUs.

what do you mean by low end?, i don't really think an OC'ed Phenom II 955 is Low end for most people or even compared to the I7, it sure is a step below, but i dunno.. Low end is a strong word lolllll xD
!