Some more winter cooling!

infidus

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Yes, I know it is the end of June, the hottest days of summer are sure to come but I can't help to think about this winter! I have just built my computer a month ago and is running smooth, but now I'm thinking more of how to get my computer cooler ( Besides my EVGA SuperClocked 580 which runs I guess pretty warm (70c under load)). Here is my thoughts

A - During the winter, Isolate my room and insulate it well from making the rest of the house a freezer, and have my room be a freezer just like outside during the winter here. I live in Minnesota so it gets quite chilly here. But I was thinking just that having my room be same temp as outside would I still have to worry about condensation? I have heard endless stories about people making air ducts and what not having the cold air vented directly into their case and causing them to worry about condensation.

B - I am looking into Water Cooling, however I will need to read much much more before I attempt it. I can't help but think the colder the air cooling the liquid will mean the cooler whatever parts are being cooled with the liquid, but thinking about it a lot makes me think it would be a difficult task to take advantage of the cold air outside to cool the liquid.

These are just some thoughts of mine for the up coming winter, and wanted to see what you guys thought as well before i go and throw my windows open in January and end up with a frozen computer.

70C is totally fine. You don't need to worry about that at all. GPUs can get up into the 90s with no problem. No reason to bother with all this fanciness.
If, however, you're in it for the fanciness (I understand lul) then I don't think condensation will be a problem. That happens when warm air becomes cooler, not the other way around, so if cold air is coming into the case and heating up it will absorb *more* water, not less, and no condensation will occur.
What if you just put the computer in the cold air, right outside your window, and just brought the cables in? Then you could play in comfort with the hot components outside. Just make some kind of weatherproof enclosure.

infidus

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hmmm, I see what you mean about putting my computer outside and having the cables brought inside, Unfortunately, I live with my father still and I don't think he would approve of my building a little compartment outside my window onto the house just to make my computer colder. but maybe having my computer in a little compartment on the inside of the room next to a window might be a solution! I think will brainstorm on that for a day or two!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Honestly, i think you need to just calm down haha! Either shove on some more case fans, or just be happy with 70 degrees. Which under load, really isnt high at all. My GTX 560 Ti runs about 73 degrees under Burn-In test with 80% fan. So obviously it can speed up another 20%+ if it starts to get warmer. As Kajabla said, GPU's can go into the 90s without major concern so dont worry about it :) I certainly wouldn't go as far as dumping my PC out the window just so it gets some cool air!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Been there done that, not by choice though when speaking of having a room that was almost as cold as the outside. I have also used fan cooling, peltier cooling and water cooled at some stage in my life so I know all about it reading dozens of articles and spending countless hours grazing through countless forums for just the right combination and spending boatloads and top stuff. In the end just keep your space as comfortable as you can for YOU and make sure your system is well ventilated, has good airflow and quality heatsinks on all hot spots and you will enjoy your life better. With video you will rarely ever get over 5fps or better with an OC and default temps and speeds on a well thought out build will always keep your card cool and stable.