Sign in with
Your question

New build fan questions

Last response: in Overclocking
June 28, 2011 5:36:55 PM

TLDR: Long story short - where should one position the Thermometer within the case in order to get the "most accurate" reading of system temp at a glance?

My case has a built in temperature read out on the front, adjustable fan speed controls, and I currently have the thermometer just kind of chilling in the middle of the case near the CPU and fan.

So my new gaming rig has been up and running for about a month now. I've recently installed a big, fancy 120mm fan to push more air out the back, I've got a 80mm pushing air out of the top, and two 80mm fans sucking air in the front. Also bought a big new CPU fan and some high quality thermal paste to replace the stock fan+thermal solution.

AMD Phenom II x4 oc'd from 3.2 to around 3.475 ghz, 8 gb DDR3 1333 (Kingston) Biostar TA870U3+ AMD 870 Mobo, Radeon 6870 oc'd up about 25mhz on it's clocks.

Biostar mobo has some great utilities for fan management, overclocking, power output settings etc. etc.

Currently, under full load, my temp gage reads at about 88 degrees F which equate to about 32 C.

Should I reposition / move my thermometer thing to a better position to get a more accurate judge of temperature? If so, where should I move it to?

I want my components to last a few years, so I'm not trying to push to OC on the CPU/GPU too much, instead looking to upgrade my 650Watt PSU and then put in a second 6870.

The fans are a bit loud, but part of that is because the case is sitting inside of a shelf kind of desk which likely restricts air flow and contains some of that heat, also causing a bit of echo from the fans (I think) but I use some decently high end Razer gaming headphones when I game so it's not really an issue.

This is my first component by component build. Any advice/recommendations would be great! thanks

More about : build fan questions

June 28, 2011 5:59:29 PM

I guess that also when using the automatic Overclocking tool that comes with the Biostar motherboard, the CPU will clock itself up to about 3.67 before it fizzles out and reboots the machine.

Would it be safe to clock to 3.6ghz?

Phenom II X4 955 (stock 3.2) and how detrimental to system longevity would such an overclocking be?

Using http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... instead of the stock cooler.

I see people talking about easily oc'ing the Phenom II X4 955 up to 3.6 or higher easily on air, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong here.

Case is - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
June 29, 2011 12:14:53 PM

So also now, last night was playing for a couple of hours straight, nothing too crazy graphic intensive (WoW) and my temp readout told me the case temperature got up to about 100 F which has NEVER happened before.

I would max out at about 88 F before I put in the new CPU cooler and the new fans.

What would cause this? I feel like I did something wrong!

Any advice / help would be great! Please respond oh guru's of the interwebz!

I really don't want to have to re-do the CPU fan because that thing is crazy hard to get installed. I felt like I was going to break something...

I just put a thin layer of the thermal paste on the CPU after removing the stock cooler, made sure it wasn't enough to "bubble out" once the new CPU fan was put on, but enough to cover the entire surface.
Related resources
June 29, 2011 7:46:09 PM

If you list your system specs (include your case) we can give you some cooling advice. What temperature gauge do you have?

What are your CPU temperatures (idle and under load). If these are too high, you are probably going to have to apply thermal paste and remount your cooler. :( 

June 30, 2011 12:05:52 PM

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 CPU
Biostar TA870U3+ AMD 870 Socket AM3 Motherboard
Apevia X-Plorer Black w/ Clr Side Case
XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIe, Dual DVI & HDMI
8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1033 1333mhz
ULTRA X-WIND COPPER 120MM - ALL IN ONE CPU COOLER
OCZ Freeze Thermal Extreme Conductivity Compound

According to my temp. readout, idles around 80-82 F and under load 88-90 F

Also have a single 120mm fan for exhaust in the back, two 80mm intake fans in the front, and another 80mm exhaust out the top.

The temp. gage is part of the case, it's just a little wire coming from the readout LCD that I currently just have taped towards the "middle" of the case some what by the CPU and memory.

I reset my CPU/GFX card to their default values and haven't pushed over 90 F when playing last night.
!