npowers86

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
i was wondering if i should get an ssd and if i should which one?

i mostly do general internet surfing, some photoshop, movie encoding, and some gaming

would an ssd show much difference in what i am using my system for? if so what would be the best to get? thanks

i have looked at the ocz vertex 2's and the ocz revos but dont know what i need thanks

i7-870
gigabyte ud3-p55
4gb corsair dominator 1333
2 1 terabyte samsung spinpoint drives in raid 1 (i could use these as storage if i got a ssd. now they run os)
sapphire radeon 4870 1gb
ultra 650 watt psu
haf-x case

Solution
SSDs mostly help out in three cases
1) Programs load faster and Windows starts a little faster. Loading large programs like Photoshop or video processors would be improved

2) Enterprise environments with enormous amounts of random reads, like Web servers or databases that mostly service inquiries.

3) If you have a bucket of money and nothing better to do with it, buy one (or more) big enough for your photoshop images and video files. Increase the speed of editing and transcoding.

But if everything is loading fast enough for you, and you are using high-memory-consumption tools like Photoshop and video encoding, consider getting more memory instead.
SSDs mostly help out in three cases
1) Programs load faster and Windows starts a little faster. Loading large programs like Photoshop or video processors would be improved

2) Enterprise environments with enormous amounts of random reads, like Web servers or databases that mostly service inquiries.

3) If you have a bucket of money and nothing better to do with it, buy one (or more) big enough for your photoshop images and video files. Increase the speed of editing and transcoding.

But if everything is loading fast enough for you, and you are using high-memory-consumption tools like Photoshop and video encoding, consider getting more memory instead.

Solution

npowers86

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
ok cool thanks for the response.
i will probably just wait for the prices to go down and maybe just get 4 more gigs or ram and more storage.
my i7 does pretty well in photoshop so i think i should be ok with that. i appreciate it