Matt119

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hello folks, I recently upgraded my computer by adding in another 512 mb of ram, and upgrading my pentium 4 1.8ghz to a 2.2ghz.
This may seem like a small increase, but here's why.
The only memory units i could find that worked with my pc 800 bus were limited to 2.2 ghz.
So, wanting to upgrade soon, i went ahead with the memory and 2.2 upgrade. Now, looking back, I almost want to get a P4 3.0 ghz, BUT i don't know what to do about the ram.
SO
My question is, is there anyway to upgrade to a 3.0 WITHOUT having to get a new mother board for larger buses? I looked long and hard but the only pc800 i could find were up to a 2.2...
Thanks in advance!

Question: Why upgrade P4->P4? Pentium 4's are dead tech; getting a new one on a different mobo is a total waste of cash.

If you need a new mobo, just get a cheap Core 2. There is no reason to ever buy a Pentium 4 on a new motherboard.

ulysses35

Distinguished
For the money you spend on RAM and a P4 / 3.0 ghz you could easily pick up a new cpu / mobo / RAM that will far out weigh any performance you hope to gain from upgrading that old P4 CPU

D

Deleted member 217926

+1

Dont waste money on that old thing.

What is your current fsb? P4s are dirt cheap these days and look up the model # of your board/ comp if pre-build. Your best option is to get a new comp at some point since you are wasting your money dealing with RDRAM boards and p4s. Get a cheap 775 board and a e5200 along with a cheap 2gb or 4gb kit and a gpu of your choice. PS what socket is your board and I assume that your cpu is a p4 with the northwood core not the crappy willmate one.

Yes sure but they are cool to look at and had always wanted then for old times sake. I even landed the middle one for $40 but it didn't run and the 7950gx2 just isn't worth the price atm while the 7900gtx is also interesting card in its own right. I am starting a few hobbies right now and one is collecting old cards. I also picked up a vintage voodoo 3500 just for old glide games. Right now if I can get that job I am going to pick me up a 5870 or something along those lines since my 9800gt just isn't enough for my needs.

Matt119

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hmm... seems no one has any suggestions without swapping the mobo?
I knew it would come to that...
Oh well.
Just fyi this is simply for nostalgia's stake, this is an ooooold computer I'm talking about and i simply wanted to keep it alive and not too out of date...
Anyways, thanks for the advice.
PS could anyone tell me how to go about uprgrading a mother board?
I have yet to do such an upgrade...

It is very simple really nothing like a heart or liver transplant. It could be done in a few min or so. Also get a new psu since newer boards use a 24pin main atx connector in addition to the typical 4pin but some use a 8pin. Go for antec or enermax not some clunky pos.

Even i have a p4 an i would not recommenced upgrading a p4 with a higher p4. (except for ram).

As other have said you could buy your self a new motherboard, ram, cpu for the same price with much better performance.