CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus Fan orientation (RAM: Stop touching me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscooper2000

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I'm in the middle of a new build. I've installed the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe MOBO and the CPU. I've installed the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Heatsink and Fan. I had to remove the first two slots of Corsair Vengence RAM in order to get enough clearance to attach the fan to the heatsink. Re-installing them was a bit tight. In fact, the (plastic) fan is gently pushing against the RAM heatsink. Is any of this going to be an issue? Possibly melting the fan?

Pictures:
- 3/4 view
- Top View

All of the illustrations in the instructions show the 212 Plus fan attached to the heatsink on the RAM side. That's why I've installed it this way. Does it matter which side the fan is installed on? The only reason I could see that it might matter is that I have a rear fan blowing air out of the system (HAF 932 chassis). If the 212 is blowing air into the CPU heatsink (is it?) and it's mounted fairly close to the rear fan, won't the two fans be competing, possibly causing a jet stream or a vortex or at least a rift in the space-time continuum?

Thanks for the help!

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
dont listen to browsing the world, i have read many of his posts and they are total garbage info.

Leave the fan where it is. it is better to have the fan pull air from the tront of the case and push it to the back where you should have a fan pulling air out of the case. i dont think it is will be a problem if it pushes slightly on the ram, the pics look fine.

cscooper2000

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I guess I would say the RAM is tilted ever so slightly, though it's not extreme. If you look carefully at the Top View you can see in the the gap is larger between all other sticks of RAM. But between the first two it is narrower (because the fan is pushing on it). The fan is giving the RAM a gentle push, not just a gentle touch.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I know what you mean but it should be fine as long as you dont move the heatsink back and forth too much... If shouldn't cause any problem, just leave it there for not and you wont have to worried about it but if you want, you can sell those ram for $60-$80 and get some 4-8GB around same price range and also get those without a big heat spreader on them...

DeltaTL6

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
You should be able to slide the fan (I think along with the bracket) upwards (away from motherboard) in order to get enough clearance. Unless your ram is too high, it should work without any problem. I did this with my 212+ and my GSkill Ripjaws were then able to fit.

Your fan is better used when pushing than pulling, keep it there if you can.

Edit: If you have to move the fan, just make sure it's pulling air (moving air from front to back of case), so that it matches with your rear case fan, you will then be able to minimize the unnecessary conflict that you mentioned.

I have taken the file to a fan that was too thick(just that little bit too thick). it worked great.

You don't have to worry about the memory getting hot enough to melt the fan that's not going to happen, what can happen in that situation is dust accumulation on the fan blades can cause fan blade vibration pressing against the modules over time could damage the socket pins.

You can slide that fan upwards almost 1/2" in the mounting position to possibly completely clear the memory modules or move the fan to the rear of the heat sink swap the mounting clips to the opposite side of the fan body, which will allow mounting in a pull orientation, the same as your rear exhaust fan.

Which will keep you from carrying the responsibility of being the one that causes the rift in the space-time continuum or possibly tearing a hole in sub-space sucking the whole freaking planet into a black hole. :)

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

Really Rex... Really??

masseybe84

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

That's exactly what I ended up doing with my rig using a 212+. With the fan centered it was touching my ram so I just slid the fan up 1/4 of an inch with no impact to cooling. Also wanting to say I read somewhere on frozencpu that with pull only being a couple degrees warmer than push only. Not all that big of a difference I suppose but why do it when you don't need to.

SlidingBike

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Just want to say thanks for those who gave the idea of sliding the fan bit high to accommodate the memory module. I just ran into the same issue but my mind didnt take me to this clean idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.